Chapter 9

The day of the Op came faster than I expected. Today, to be exact. 

I just packed my backpack with the most necessary things: water, something to eat, a map of the place where we have to go and some clothes. From Vida I knew that the backpack should not be too heavy. 

And so I walked down the long hallway to my meeting point with Cole. The white walls of the HQ had at the same time something pleasant and sad. Pleasant because they kind of remind me that there is a way out of all problems, but also sad like something empty that can not be filled. 

From a distance I saw that Cole had only one backpack with him and was dressed all in black, just like me. However, I still wore a scarf, not because I was cold, but because I want to spare everyone, especially him, a look at the bruises on my neck. Training with Cole had left this behind and it left a question in my head. What had made him so angry?

My mother always told me that people who lose control of their emotions carrry a scar in them. A scar that only slowly heals and fades, yet never disappears.

What is Coles scar?

Before I could think of anything else, he turned around and a grin spread across his face. I love that smile. Wait, Lilli, focus. 

We walked to the car without a word, which we would take with us. It was a grey SUV that was still in pretty good shape. In the trunk we stowed our backpacks, which already contained a blanket. I remained silent the whole time, not knowing what to say, but there was something I needed to know. I had to see. 

"Hey, Cole" My voice was just a whisper and uncertain, but I didn't want to back out now. 

"Yeah, sunshine ?"

"We spent a lot of time training my abilities, but I've never seen you use yours. When do I get to see it?"

His expression changed in one fell swoop and for a short moment I thought he was going to yell at me. This expression was more than familiar to me. But the frustration came out with a deep sigh and before I even realized it a small flame appeared in his hand. 

But before I could take a closer look at it, it disappeared and the smile on his face was there again.

And somehow my heart began to beat faster with that smile. 

***********************************************************************************************

Ten minutes later we hit the road. Before that, I had quickly said goodbye to Jude and Nico, who were just working on a remote-controlled car with their friend Blake, one of the greens form Team 1. Jude hugged me so tightly and wouldn't let go of me if Vida hadn't pulled him away from me.

Her words before I left were still buzzing around in my head. Boo, don't fuck this up.

I only became aware of reality when th HQ disappeared in the rear-view mirror. I was alone on my first Op, with Cole Stewart.

In order to keep myself busy, I took the map out of my jacket pocket and tried to read it, but Cole stopped me.

"Don't bother. I know where we have to go." He said and we fell back into silence.