Four

'Sybill's Prediction'

Seven students, all clad in flying robes of canary yellow, flew up into the air

Seven students, all clad in flying robes of canary yellow, flew up into the air. There was little wind that morning as the sun rose, so their brooms hovered quite gently next to one another. The first few minutes of their practice was almost entirely devoted to wishing Cedric happy birthday.

Marlene was watching on from the stands, their wooden skeletons not yet clothed in the colours of the four houses. She had a pile of cloth at her feet, pots of yellow and black paint were sat on the bench next to her - her duties as chief banner maker for the year had only just begun.

At Summerby's instructions, everyone broke off to practice. Seventh year Robin Cadwallader and sixth year Christina O'Flaherty were beating Bludgers between one another, Cedric was floating near the tops of the stands and looking for the Snitch, and the three Chasers were taking continual shots at the goal as their captain deflected them.

By now, some other people had filtered into the stadium. Several eager Hufflepuff first years had clustered together at the front of one of the stands, one girl bearing a striking resemblance to Christina.

After both her and Cedric had received ten house points apiece from Madam Hooch for their help yesterday, Anthea felt on the top of her game. Further aided by the fact that she and her friends were no longer new to the team, she hurled the Quaffle straight at the hoops with perfect form, Summerby struggling to catch some of her shots.

As they all landed, a sheen of sweat beading on their foreheads, the seven of them excitedly gestured to see Marlene's progress. She draped her half-finished banner over the edge of the stand: emblazoned on a checkered background of yellow and black squares was the badger of Helga Hufflepuff.

"It's great, Mar!" Anthea yelled up, both her and Tamsin clapping proudly.

Slowly rolling up her work, careful to make sure the paint didn't smudge, she gathered her supplies and met up with her four friends, all of them now showered and clothed in their school robes.

As they sat at their house table for breakfast, calls of 'happy birthday, Cedric' filling their ears and students of all ages clapping him on the shoulder, they were surprised to see that Matilda Avery was joining them. "Any of you taking Divination?" she asked, tucking some auburn hair behind her ear.

Anthea nodded, offering the Slytherin a piece of toast. "Me and the boys are, we just don't know where to go."

Matilda smiled and thanked Anthea for the offer of food, taking it and biting into it as if she hadn't eaten in months. "Ethan and I don't know either. But, apparently the teacher is really batty."

Christina turned to them from slightly further up the table. "She is. Trelawney is batty as bat droppings. But, I can show you where it is, I have a free next."

Anthea smiled. "Chris, you're a bloody legend."

"I know," she replied with a laugh, turning back to her conversation with Alexander.