School Nurse

Hannah's PoV

"Alright class, let's get cooking!" My food tech teacher shouted.

I began by opening the tinned tomatoes for the sauce. However, I didn't realise how sharp the edge of the tin was. A yelp escaped me as a sharp pain sliced through my palm. Immediately, I held my hand to my chest, pressing a cloth against it. I held pressure to it.

"Hannah oh my god what happened! You have to tell Miss, you can't cook like that!" My friend Alex yelled.

They were right. There was no way I could cook.

"Hannah darling Alex told me what happened. They're going to take you to the nurse okay?" The teacher said.

I nodded as Alex took my arm and we made our way across campus to the med wing. We go to a boarding school so we pretty much have a full doctors office on campus. I've always been nervous around new people so this was going to be fun (not).
I don't know how but I've managed to avoid the med wing ever since I've been here. What if they hurt me? What if they stab me with needles? I can already recognise the feelings of an anxiety attack.

"Hey!" Alex says, sensing my nervousness. "It'll be fine! I've been there before, the doctors are really kind."

"If you say so..." I reply as we enter the office.

"Hello, what can I help you with?" The chirpy receptionist asks.

"She cut her hand in food tech and it's bleeding really badly." Alex said for me.

"Okay Dr Davies is free at the moment so I'll take you straight to her," she explained to me. "And you," she said pointing at Alex, "thank you for bringing her, you can go back to class now."

"Cya Hannah, hope you feel better soon" Alex said as they left.

"Right this way sweetie."

She led me to a door and knocked.

"Come in," a voice replied from within.

The door opened to reveal a woman dressed in scrubs. She was sat at a desk behind a computer.

"Hey sweetie, I'm Dr Davies. Let's take a look at your hand yeah?" She said, leading me over to the bed as the receptionist left.

Scared shitless, I shook my head and tried to back away.

"Sweetie I'm not going to hurt you, I promise."

Her attempts to comfort me did nothing as I backed into a corner and sunk to the floor, still clutching my bleeding hand. I pulled my legs up to my chest as I struggled to breathe, my anxiety attack getting dramatically worse.

I watched her fiddle with a device in her pocket before there was a knock at the door.

"Come in." She said

It opened to reveal a curly haired man in funky scrubs.

"I'm sorry to page you but I didn't know anyone else who could help." Dr Davies explained.

"That's quite alright." The mystery doctor replied.

Dr Davies thanked him before taking a step back.

He turned to me and bent down.

"Hey sweetheart, what's your name?" He asked

"H-hannah" I stuttered.

"Hey Hannah I'm Dr Styles but you can call my Harry. I'm just going to sit next to you if that's alright?"

I nodded, his deep voice having a weird calming effect on me.

"I want you to copy my breathing okay? Can you do that?"

I shook my head.

"Come on love, slow, deep breaths. I'm not gonna hurt you."

He took my good hand and placed it on his chest. I soon began to copy the rise and fall, slowing my breathing and therefore calming down a little.

"Good girl" he praised. "Now, what got you so worked up hey?"

"I don't like needles" I whispered.

"That's okay, I don't either," he responded. "Do you think you can be really brave for me?"

I shook my head.

"Look, I'll stay here with you, I'll talk you through it. You're not alone darling. I promise I won't let anything hurt you."

I nodded slowly.

"Can you move to the bed for us love?" Harry asked.

Cautiously, I got up and made my way over to the bed. Harry sat next to me.

"Can I see your hand sweetheart?" Dr Davies asked.

Hesitantly, I gave her my hand to inspect.

"You cut yourself pretty bad, it's definitely going to need stitches. I'll just clean it first."

I tensed up, worried it would hurt.

"Just lean into me, listen to my heartbeat. It'll help calm you." Harry suggested.

I leaned back into Harry's chest and listened to the rhythmic sound of his heartbeat. He was right. It was calming.

I flinched as a burning sensation ran through my hand. Tears threatened to spill over.
Harry noticed this and quickly distracted me by asking about school.

Before I knew what was happening, Dr Davies was prepping the numbing needle for the stitches and I was once again freaking out.

"Hannah darling shhh it's okay," Harry comforted. "Look at me, you'll barely feel it I promise. It's just one small pinch and then you won't feel anything."

I knew there was no getting out of this. No matter how much I hated needles, the rational part of my brain knew I needed to calm down. I took a deep breath and nodded.

Harry held my hand out for Dr Davies as I hid in his chest.

"Small pinch love," she said as I felt a large pinch.

I flinched and tried pulling my hand away however, Harry had a firm grip and held it still.

"You're doing so well love, we're nearly done I promise." He comforted.

"You're just going to feel some tugging and then I'll give you a brace so you don't burst the stitches." Dr Davies explained as she began stitching my hand.

Other than the slight tugging sensation, I felt nothing after that. I rested my head on Harry's chest and listened to his heartbeat while he rubbed my back soothingly.

"Aaand done!" announced Dr Davies. "Try not to get them wet, so keep the brace and bandage on until next week when I'll see you again to get them out."

I nodded.

"Come on love," Harry said getting up, "I'll walk you back to your dorm."