Chapter 34: Traitors

The news of Cascarade Pack being wiped out by rogues and hunters made me feel so many different emotions and I am drowning inside. 

I shouldn't feel this way for them, however, the bad deeds done by others do not define the innocent people and young pups that were living in the Cascarade pack.

It was hard to understand how the massacre happened and why we were never being informed about it but when Jay explains to us what happened we then understood. He told us that the Cascarade Pack was attacked on the same day, and the rogues tried to kidnap me. It was a surprise attack that no one was prepared for it and so none of the neighboring and allied packs were informed. The wounded warrior that was carried in here, is the only survivor that has been on the runs from the rogues and hunters for days.

I can imagine the horror the warrior went through and I hope he survives as his condition is too critical at the moment. 

"Jea created the barrier but how did the hunters make it through?" Aaron's questions made me perk up and glance at him. He is tapping his hand on the desk. It's been an hour since we all were called for a meeting in his office and I am surprised that they let me stay this time.

"I guess she's not powerful enough," I casually said and Jea slams her hands on the table making me jump a bit. I'm not scared but I don't want to be turned into a deer or even worse, a caterpillar. 

'I thought you had some practice to kick her ass,'  teases Eliz. She then wags her tail before she pokes out her tongue at me. 

I know, she still hates me for kissing Aaron.

"This is unacceptable, I don't know any of the witches back at the mountains who know how to break the barrier," Jea groans with frustration.

"Maybe you missed a step while creating it," I said and I should have been careful with my mouth. Yet I cannot seem to shut it up.

Eric's pacing around in the office is a bit of a distraction for everyone and me. I mean he is taking our focus away from the main issue. When he stops, everyone looks at him. 

"Unless there is a traitor," he said. Everyone in the room nods in agreement and for the first time, I also agree with him. "And we don't have any clue at all" he added before resting on a chair near Aaron's desk. 

I am deep in my thoughts when Claire, Lucian, and Jea's gaze falls on me. I furrow my brow and stare back at them. I see Claire whispering something to Jea and that is when I realized what they are thinking. They are assuming and accuse me of being the traitor. 

"Damn you three, don't forget the hunters are after me" I call them out and they look away with shame.

"How d-" My words were cut off by Eric's intervention.

"Sorry, Aaron but we're taking leave this instant for my pack. Claire, we need to go," he said, getting up from his chair. Aaron only nods at them before they began to walk out of the room.  Lucian moves together with them in a hurry. They went straight to their vehicles without packing their bags or for another goodbye. 

I hate seeing them but I am glad that they are gone. It would be great if Jea had gone with them but the witch decided to stay here with us.

~~~

It was night time and there was still no news from the Daluna's pack. Aaron drops by my room a while ago to check on me before going to his office to discuss business with Conrad. I bid him goodbye and I was about to close my eyes when Eliz begs to go for a run. I protested at first but Eliz knows me too well. So in the end, she won and here we are scavenging our way in the woods.