T H I R T Y - E I G H T

Grayson waits for me to unlock my front door before he drives away. I walk into the house and head straight for the kitchen. It's 4:00 in the afternoon, so I know my mom is probably in the kitchen preparing dinner for us. She works so hard, and I'm a little disappointed in myself for worrying her. Granted, I couldn't have told her I slept for two and a half days straight- that would open a whole supernatural can or worms that I can't explain to her.

Just like I imagined, she was in the kitchen peeling potatoes. She stops peeling and drops the potato to smile at me. She walks over and gives me a hug. 

"Hi, honey. Did you have fun at your friend's house?"

I nod, but before I can say anything she continues talking.

"Listen, I want you to know that you can tell me anything. I know I'm your mother, but I'm also your friend."

Oh goodness. She used the cringy "I'm your mom and your friend" card. She must know something that she wants me to openly discuss with her. Instead of answering her, I walk past her and wash my hands so that I can help cook dinner. An awkward silence grows between us before my mom decides to break it.

"Look, you told me a few nights ago you went to Grayson's to stay. Then, you said that you were 'studying with Cooper' for two nights after that. I'm not naive, Thea. I know you were with him for multiple nights."

I slowly dry my hands on a washcloth before turning to my mom. I shouldn't feel guilty about spending time with my boyfriend. I'm 18 years old, I can spend time with who I want. However, I still do feel bad for leaving her alone to care for Evie. She doesn't have someone in her life to help with the 6-year-old. She's a handful. Speaking of Evie...

"Thee!" Evie screams and catapults towards me. I squeal at the unexpected intrusion and catch her in my arms. She hugs me tightly and I return the hug.

"Hi, E. I missed you." She looks at me and frowns. 

"You were gone for a long time. Don't leave for that long again. I missed you! Look what I made in school today!" She is suddenly back to her cheery self as she shows me the simple bead bracelet she made in school today. I put her down as I continue to chop veggies, occasionally nodding and adding "mhhm's" while I listen to her elaborate stories. She talks about fairy princesses and magic and ponies, so I smile and nod at the tales she makes up. Her imagination is remarkable. 

Eventually my mom finds a way to kick her out of the kitchen. She asks Evie to make us each a drawing of the magical fairy and pony, so we get time to cook in peace. We can both hear Evie's soft humming as she colors, which warms my heart. She's so adorable!

My mom places the chopped vegetables in the over to cook along with the chicken breasts.

"Thea?" My mom turns to me and sends me a small smile which I hesitantly return. "I'm not mad at you. I'm happy that you found someone who you care so much about. I know I didn't have the most admirable relationship with you father."

I clench my teeth at the mention of that asshole. My mom left him after he became physically abusive towards us. He would always yell at me and my mom, but when he decided to smack me was when my mom up and left him. That's why we moved to Redwood all those years ago. I haven't seen him since and I hate thinking about him.

"Grayson's nothing like him," I say strongly and with conviction. Grayson is the exact opposite of my father. I was only about 13 when I last saw my father, but Grayson is kind, loving, gentle- all the things my father wasn't.

"I know, honey. I've seen the way he is with you. I'm honestly quite jealous of the love you guys have for each other."

I hold my arms out wide and give my mom a hug. We don't normally talk about such serious topics. The two of us are normally joking around and discussing the books we recommend to each other. This is entirely new.