29. Female Titan

No, no, no..... just no.

I couldn't feel anything. My heart. My fingers gripping on to my swords. My legs. The burning sensation behind my eyes that were a tell sign of the onslaught of tears to come....

Every single one of them.... gone.

The events that just occurred seemed like a blur to me now. How exactly did I come upon this situation again? I faintly remember staring holes in Levi's back as the Levi's Squad rode up on the Titan Forest. Inside it was where Hanji's plan was to go off. I remember telling myself that it was only a few more hours before we could set off back towards the wall, and that all I needed to do was concentrate on Levi and the plan alone. It set my heart rate a bit at ease as I looked to him, but it didn't last long.

Not but just a couple hundreds yards in did I faintly hear the sound of thumping coming behind us. Curiously I remember peeking a glance over my shoulder and was shocked at the sight...

•••-•••

The Special Elite Squadron was back in formation again. We had set back out on the mission awhile ago and so far everything had been going to plan. Not far off into the distance was a huge forest.

   The Titan Forest. A forest of trees as tall as 80 meters... a place swarming with titans as the name obviously suggests.

I tried not to let my eyes or mind drift far from the male who led our small group with a hard expression. Thinking solely of Levi has helped calm my nerves just a fraction - enough to where my hands aren't shaking as I gripped onto the reins.

   I could still feel the tightness of the skin on my palms and the sides my pinkies. It produced a slight stinging sensation and caused them not to react as fast so I hope that they wouldn't cause problems in the end. I didn't dare tell Levi of this problem.

I kept repeating to myself over and over again, Levi is here. There should be nothing to be afraid of.

"Woah.."

I heard Eren's tiny little gasp as we started to approach the giant forest.

"Pretty cool isn't it?" Gunther replies.

A chill went down my spine and I snapped my eyes to Levi. He seemed to notice my stare and glance back at me. His expression never changed, but he gave me a small nod that sent a calming effect over me again.

"Hey guys! Look!"

All heads turned to the right as Petra's voice rang out. We all spotted green smoke flares popping off in the distance. A sign that a team had spotted and/or came into contact with a titan. It shouldn't have been such a surprise seeing as we've seen quite a few of them since we left the small rest stop, but the fact that there were red flares starting to come up on the horizon started to threaten the calmness I had formed.

"Abnormals." Was what came out of Levi's mouth first. "Oluo. I want you to send off a green flare."

"Yes Captain!"

"We keep moving ahead." Levi's voice was firm and he pushed on faster.

   My grip on my reins tightened even more and I closed my eyes momentarily. Concentrate on Levi... concentrate on Levi... think only of Levi... my eyes slowly peeled themselves open and I looked at said mans back. We got this. We've been through missions like this a hundred times before. This is no different.

   This plan Erwin devised will go off without a hitch. We'll catch whoever it is that's been causing us problems, well all go back to headquarters and start cleaning again. Start teachings the new soldiers how to stay alive. Just like always.