9. Adventure

Snow's POV

     After seeing her little brother receive a Z-Ring and Z-Crystal, Snow knew she had to get one for herself. But first, she wanted to visit the island of Ula'ula. She heard there were mountains there. But the most appealing part of Ula'ula Island was the snow.

      After training in Snowpoint City in Sinnoh for five years, separated from her little brother, Snow had found a liking for cold places and Ice-type Pokémon. After all, Sinnoh was where her Eevee had evolved into the Glaceon it was today. Alola's tropical heat seemed suffocating to her, and knowing that there was an island with snow on it made her shiver with excitement. 

      She got on the ferry, excited for a new adventure. The horn blew, and ship started moving.

      "Look, Glaceon, there are so many Water-type Pokémon out there!" Snow exclaimed to her partner, pointing out into the bright blue sea. Glaceon nuzzled Snow's hand and hopped onto her shoulders, wanting to see for itself.

     "I see Feebas, Luvdisc, Magikarp...oh my goodness! Is that a Milotic?" Snow said, her voice infused with excitement. She hadn't been this happy and carefree since...well, ever

      The Milotic sprung out of the water, its snakelike body glistening from the water. The ocean waves crashed upwards, turning the Milotic's jump into a beautiful and elegant dance. Snow's dark brown eyes shone with joy. 

      A tap on her shoulder made her flinch and reach for her belt, where her knives were hidden. But it was only another person, reminding her that the ferry was close to Ula'ula Island. Snow nodded to the traveler, a woman with a green shirt and bright blue pants, and carried Glaceon to the front of the ship. Their adventure in Ula'ula Island was just beginning, and Snow couldn't wait. 

     After asking for directions from the Nurse Joy in the Pokémon Center, Snow and Glaceon made their way to Mount Lanakila, the main mountain on Ula'ula Island. As she and her partner trekked up the mountain, the air around them grew cooler and cooler. Snow breathed in this fresh mountain air, invigorated by the cold. She kept on walking until she saw a familiar white, powdery substance on the trail. Snow!

      She grabbed a fistful of cold, icy snow, and rolled into a ball. She tossed it at Glaceon, who yowled in surprise. The two partners spent the rest of the hike throwing snowballs at each other, reveling in the coldness of the mountain. It was so fun that when Snow realized they had reached the apex of the mountain, she felt almost sad, but the view made up for it.

     The entirety of Ula'ula Island were spread out before them like a map. The houses, in the distance, looked like tiny little figures that Snow could pinch in between her slender fingers. The snowcaps around them took the Trainer's breath away. It was just so beautiful, so serene, so peaceful and quiet and cold. 

     Snow and Glaceon checked in with the Pokémon Center, ordering some food. They were going to explore the mountain, so they needed their energy. Snow tried a drink called the Tapu Cocoa, while Glaceon delicately nibbled at some Pokémon food. After eating, Snow grabbed a jacket from her backpack, put it on, and set out to explore.

      The afternoon sun shone over the Trainer and her partner. They looked in meadows, shook trees covered in what looked like puffy white clouds, and played in the snow together. But the biggest discovery they made was a cavern. 

      "Glaceon, let's check this out!" Snow said, excited. Glaceon bounded into the cave, which turned out to be a twisting maze of rocky tunnels. After about ten minutes of walking, Snow turned left, into what was possibly the most beautiful room she had ever seen.

      The rocky walls were encrusted in glittering blue ice, gleaming from all angles. In the middle was a spike of the frozen material, reaching from the floor to the ceiling in a shade of sapphire blue. But when Snow looked closer, there were small things skittering about the place...Pokémon!

     "Alolan Sandshrew...they're Ice types!" Snow said in awe. Glaceon padded up to one, keening in greeting. The Sandshrew and Snow's partner rubbed noses in friendship. Snow grinned and stepped forward slightly, her black ankle boots clicking on the icy cave floor. She held her hand out to a Sandshrew, who nuzzled it shyly. But suddenly, a loud noise erupted from the back of the room.

     "What's going on?!" Snow exclaimed in shock. Glaceon bounded into her arms before an icy wall slammed between her and the majority of the cavern, blocking her from the Sandshrew. A loud squeal emitted from the other side of the wall.

     "Is that...an Ampharos?" Snow asked herself. She heard more of those skittering sounds, and small noises coming from the Alolan Sandshrew.

     "I think the Sandshrew are in trouble," Snow said, talking to herself now. "I need a way to break that wall...that's it! Glaceon, use Iron Tail!" Glaceon nodded, its tail glowing silver with power. Soon, after multiple Iron Tail attacks, a small hole just the right size for Snow to squeeze through appeared in the ice.

     "You're amazing, Glaceon," Snow remarked, hugging her tightly. "Let's go see what's going on."

     On the other side of the wall, she saw a huge Ampharos dominating the cavern. Small Sandshrew were throwing themselves at the Ampharos, but to no avail. After a moment, Snow seemed to have a grasp on the situation, but that all changed when a huge blue Pokémon appeared from the shadows. 

     "An Alolan Sandslash," Snow breathed to herself. "It's...beautiful." Glaceon jumped in front of her, its back arched in determination. "Glaceon, you want to help?" she asked. The blue Pokémon nodded. Snow smiled. Glaceon ran to the Sandslash. After a moment of communication, the two Pokémon nodded in solidarity.

     "All right, Glaceon, use Icy Snow!" Snow yelled. Glaceon flew upwards, spitting a stream of ice from its mouth, encasing the lower body of the Ampharos in ice. Snow nodded. "Yes, that's perfect. Now that it can't move, get closer in and use Ice Edge!" 

     Glaceon yowled in an attack cry, sending a blade of ice towards the head of the Ampharos. The electric Pokémon bent its long neck backwards. 

     "Finish it off with Iron Tail!" Snow yelled, her voice clear and unafraid despite the situation, and with one last blow, Ampharos was knocked out.

     "You did it!" Snow said proudly, running to her partner. "You're so amazing, Glaceon. That last Iron Tail was so powerful. I felt it in my bones!" Glaceon purred in delight. During her rejoicing, she felt a presence behind her. Turning, she saw the giant Alolan Sandslash, with a strange crystal in its hands. 

     "What's this...for me?" she asked the giant Pokémon. It nodded, and handed the crystal to Snow. It was a light grey-blue, glowing with power. In the center, it had a snowflake design. 

     "A Z-Crystal?" she asked the Sandslash. It nodded once more. But when Snow turned to leave, the Sandslash followed her.

     "You want me to catch you?" she asked. It nodded a third time, its eyes gleaming. Snow grinned, and expanded a Master Ball in her hands. "All right. Let's go, Master Ball!" The Master Ball hit its mark, encasing the Alolan Sandslash in its blue glow. The Master Ball rolled on the floor a few times, but them emitted a "bing" noise. Snow ran to it, still grinning.

     "I just caught...an Alolan Sandslash!" she yelled triumphantly. Her adventures on Ula'ula Island had been a smashing success!