s2 e12: "kelsey livingston, you are my wildest dream"

"𝐰𝐢𝐥𝐬𝐨𝐧, 𝐩𝐫𝐞𝐬𝐞𝐧𝐭"

"tyler winston, 14 years old, experiencing shortness of breath, persistent cough, weight loss, and facial swelling"

"and ross, all of those are symptoms of?"

"um.....the symptoms.....the symptoms are, um" he stuttered while looking down at the ground.

"it's fine, ross. it's small cell lung cancer. the stage tyler is in is the second and last stage which is extensive lung cancer" kelsey said to the social worker sitting in the room.

"and....what does that mean?"

"murphy?"

"it means the cancer has moved to the other side of his chest and has invaded his left lung and lymph nodes. once the cancer is in the extensive stage it's....pretty much inoperable"

"meaning i'm toast" tyler mumbled.

"no, pretty much does not mean your toast, it means it's not fully inoperable. this cancer is stubborn. but lucky for you, i'm also stubborn. i believe if i use a needle, similar to the one i used to take a sample of lung tissue in the biopsy, i can carefully separate the cancer from the contaminated lungs and lymph nodes"

"i appreciate your enthusiasm, but it's not gonna work. i've been to five hospitals, consulted with 12 doctors, and they've all told me the same thing. there's no hope for me"

"and besides, there's no way to pay for the surgery" the social worker, marie, added.

"i don't want you to worry about the money. we'll leave you guys alone, let you discuss everything and come back to check on you later" kelsey, giving them a small smile before leading the interns into the hallway.

"wilson, post-op checkup in 23-14 then skills lab, edwards you're with nelson today, murphy go check on my pre-op in 23-23 and dr. karev's pre-op in 23-30, and shane i need you to cover my hour in the clinic" kelsey instructed. everyone quickly walked off to there designated rooms except for shane, who slowly sauntered away.

"he's still not doing too good, huh?" derek asked as he walked up to her with tired eyes.

"nope. his head's not on straight. he asked me to keep him out of surgeries because he's scared he'll kill a patient"

"heard he's asked all the attendings that. i have to help the interns tell heather's mom. i'm not looking forward to it"

"you guys will figure something out"

"have you heard anything else about richard?"

"no. catherine's pretty much got the room on lockdown. no one gets in, no one gets out except for her. i still can't believe it's only been two days, it feels like it's been months"

"i know, especially now that we have bailey. y'know, meredith heard the daycare's understaffed and now she won't let him or zola out of her sight"

"yeah. every parent is staying up there. i'm suppose to be helping arizona interview new nurses for the daycare"

"well when you go up there could you drag meredith out and tell her to go home? it's my turn to watch the kids and she still gets to sleep in. i'm so jealous"