(11) Ex-husband

The Lewis' house is quiet and deserted – contrary to the busy affair it had been last night

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.

The Lewis' house is quiet and deserted – contrary to the busy affair it had been last night. David Lewis is in his study, his wife sleeping off last night's party that didn't end until half past midnight. The house was utterly silent that he heard the one-sided conversation when Chassie answered a call in the kitchen, then came back to the living room with her kitten heels stabbing the floor.

As of the moment, she's shoving coloring books into Ethan's backpack, a frown marring her face. Her lips are puckered into a grumpy pout and her entire demeanor screamed of foul mood. In the tip of his tongue, he had a nagging question as to who the caller was. And what was the call about. And if he could be of any help.

Ethan shifted on his lap, eyes trained on the television that played his favorite cartoon. Nathan decided it was a perfect timing to piece together the source of his mother's sour mood.

"Hey, what's going on in there?" He murmurs, regarding the backpack she just zipped shut, ready to be taken away wherever the day takes him and Ethan – specifically at his house. He came by having plans to make birdhouses with Ethan at his place.

She didn't so much as blink. "All set."

"Chassie." He pokes her shoulder.

She still hadn't budged.

He decided to give her another poke. "Chassie George, what's going on in that pretty head?"

Chassie shot him a warning look. "Nothing, Nathaniel."

Nathan tried not to smile at the irritated emphasis on his name. And the stern look is not much of a threat. No, not anymore so he poked her again, this time on her shoulder blade.

"Nathan," she groaned.

"There is something. I never seen you this upset."

She cuts him a glare, zipping the outside pocket of the backpack with more force than necessary.

"See? Don't take it out on the poor backpack."

Chassie sighed. She clicks her tongue, then twisted her hair into a bun as if to allow her beautiful neck a breath. "It was Julie who called," her eyes wandered over to an oblivious Ethan sitting on his lap, "some A-S-S took over my column."

"What?" He almost scowled. "Why would your A-S-S of a boss hire some random A-S-S to write your column? I thought it would be another big-bellied journalist in your office."

She shakes her head, biting on her lip. "I don't know. But he better be better than me."

"No one's ever going to be better than you. You're a great writer." Nathan meant every word, more so when he knew it's the truth. He's seen her passion to her writing. She deserves every bit of recognition there is, and most certainly doesn't deserve the self-doubts.

Chassie heaved out another sigh. "I don't want to talk about it."

"What would make you feel better?"

Her brows creased thoughtfully. "You know, I think I need an outlet."

"Elaborate, please."

"I think I just need to write."

"Okay." He smiles, amused at the glimmer writing has sparked in her hazel eyes.

She stares blankly at him for a brief second before speaking. "Do you have a spare laptop?"

"What happened to your laptop?"

Her head did a firm shake. "There's too much memories in my laptop. I don't want to be constantly reminded of my writing situation."

There's a tug at his chest when her voice tumbled into a glum murmur. "Okay. I have a spare. But you have to come to my place yourself."

Her shoulders droop. "Is this a trick to make me come with you?"

"Yes. I won't let you mope around all day."

She narrowed her eyes on him.

"Come on, it'll be worth your while."

Chassie propped an elbow on the coffee table and rested her chin on her palm. She was still comfortably sitting on the rug, her dark jeans stretching on her hips then down her fantastically curvy legs. "Do I really have to?"

He chuckles, reaching down to the pair of kitten heels she has set aside. "World peace depends on you coming or not."

"It does?" Her lips stretched into a wry curve. "I need more convincing though." She lifted herself off the floor then slumped next to him, kitten heels by her feet.

"Let me think," he says, playing along, "I have an awesome house. A really awesome pool. To tell you the truth I'm too awesome all around to be turned down."

Chassie giggles, a mischievous gleam in her eyes. "Do you have an awesome pool boy too?"

His smile slipped. "I made the right decision of not hiring one. I am the awesome pool boy."

She laughs softly. "Okay, I'm convinced. Let me put on my awesome shoes." She dips down and scooped up her kitten heels, clueless of the straining third button of her blouse.

Nathan shifted his eyes to the television.

"Baby," she calls.

Ethan took at least a second to peel his eyes off the television. Nathan, however, is embarrassingly looking back into her startled eyes in a heartbeat. He was startled as she was. Before the silence could extend past awkward, Ethan turns to his mother. "Yes, mommy?"

"Guess who's joining you guys to make birdhouses?" She grinned.

His entire face lit up. "You are?"

"Yep." She offers her hand.

Ethan squealed excitedly, springing off his daddy's lap. He took her hand and grinned.

"Let's go." Chassie was off the couch too.

They both exited the living room with bouncing steps. He stares after them, turning off the TV and grabbing Ethan's backpack. 

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.