First Mention

Life works in mysterious ways, Ember, and the secret is to not think too hard on the why or how of it, and to not mourn what is no longer, but live: live hard and love hard. - L.A. Fiore

No longer holding on to what wasn't mine ; leaving behind all the burden that comes with it, is indeed liberating. I could feel the emotion when I looked at him, perhaps for the last time. His eyes devoid of expression, his face unreadable and cold, made me realize the number of times I had seen him like this and yet I had turned a blind eye thinking it was just my imagination and that he cared , he really cared. How wrong I had been.

I don't know him. I didn't know him, I knew not a thing about him and never did I make an effort to know him. I saw him the way I wanted to see him, I tried to make him what I wanted him to be. It was all my fault - getting involved, forcing myself into his life when he subtly resisted. I should've stopped that could've saved everyone involved. But what happened happened and I'm still grateful for what life made me experience, even if it were for a very short time. 

6 months back 

Belki hiç duymadın
Belki de takmadın
Bilmem bilmem

'Can you talk something comprehensible ?', Melisa spoke as she piled up the scattered books in her part of the desk. 'Pardon', I replied snapping out of my daydream. 'Much better. I could for once understand your talks. I thank my stars for that,' she spoke without much emotion, still arranging the messed up desk. 'Bu cok iyi', I replied mischievously gauging her reaction. 'There you go, again! Just stop with the Turkish nonsense already!, Melisa retorted. 'Ok ok, I push you no more', I said raising my hands in defeat and wearing a grin that looked rather stupid. I wanted to laugh but the annoyance on my best friend's face held me back. Melisa was not in a good mood for sure and so I couldn't take the risk. 

'I was just appreciating this beautiful piece of music I came across.' I smiled looking over to Melisa anticipating a positive response from her. 'Do you want to know what the lyrics mean?, I continued, 'They have an otherworldly ring to them and the composition is so divine and..'  'Whatever,' she interrupted rolling her blue eyes and went back to arranging the stationary on her desk thwarting my efforts towards a meaningful conversation. Even though her mood was dull, her blue eyes were bright, oceanic blue to be precise, I observed quietly. Her eyes have always been her main attraction. I remember first time I had seen them. Exotic, unique, captivating were the words I could think of while looking at them - as if they had a character of their own. Her long wavy golden hair and fair skin tone only added to her charismatic persona. And this was enough to allure me into forging a friendship with this exotic girl all meek and shy. Little did I know the girl was all but meek and shy. Melisa was not only a beautiful but a strong, independent, honest and down to earth girl. She had dreams and she knew how to make them come true. Her generosity is well known as is her temper, you wouldn't want to be in her bad books, trust me. 'Do you realize you sound like one of those mean girls they have in the American tv series ?', I protested. She opened her mouth to speak but before she could, I beat her to it. 'What happened, speak up', I interrupted, expecting her to open up about the things that have been affecting her lately. She had been acting out of character since last few days and that really got me worried. 

'What?'. 'What's going on in your mind Melisa? Tell me.' I tried sounding nonchalant fearing a backlash or worse - no response from Melisa's end. She stared at me. Feeling intimidated under her gaze, I quickly diverted mine towards the desk. It seemed she was contemplating something. 'Sorry Mels, but I can't read your mind. You've got to speak,' I said breaking the minute long silence. She took a deep breath and started mumbling something. 'Myfamilyistryingtogetmemarriednextyear'. 'What?' 'Myfamilyistryingtogetmemarriednextyear', she mumbled again letting out a sharp noisy breath. 'Punctuations please!. Calm down Mels, take a deep breath and say it again, slower this time.' She did as said and this time words came out clearly 'My family is trying to get me married next year', she said in a feeble voice. 'Shut up!, you got to be kidding me!, I exclaimed as my eyebrows shot up and my eyes almost popped out off my sockets. I quickly turned in her direction and checked for any signs of amusement in her face. There were none. She was serious. 'What?!', I half yelled in disbelief, 'how? why? when?.

'Last week, at my aunt's birthday celebration party,' she said in a feeble voice. 'My Lord!', I spoke in utter disbelief, 'do you know him? I mean the boy they're getting you married to?'.  'Yes, I do. You know him too.' 'Really?, who is he?'