14// Hydrangea

I was unsure of what to do. I dropped the phone back to where it was before, and grabbed the bottle of whiskey I had stolen from downstairs.

   I couldn't think of what to do, so I layed down on the bed softly with the bottle in my right arm. I realized my sleeve was revealing my cuts, so I hid them before the door opened.

   The light only hit certain parts of the room, so I still stayed hidden. My eyes opened lightly to see Zach's slim silhouette standing there. He had a can of beer in his hand, and a fresh cigarette in his hand, I thought.

   He came in calmly. His face looked disrupted and angry, but it was hard for me to tell what he was feeling. He was a boy that was hard to read.

   I opened my green eyes, staring at him, hoping he would realize I was there besides him, and hoped he would feel them burn like lasers.

   "Zach" I said.

   He was fixing his hair in the dark bathroom mirror. His body tensed up as I spoke. He peered over. His cheeks looked damp, but I couldn't tell. He smoked.

   "Hey" He said. "I was looking for you" He said sweetly. His hands found his hair again, and it looked terrific.

   "Good. I need someone to get drunk with" I said showing him the alcohol. His face was blank and stern.

   "Sure" Was all he said. His big eyes twinkled.

   Two hours later I layed on a lawn chair besides the pool drunk out of my mind, and Zach was still besides me on another, with no smile anywhere in his complexion. The blue pool lit up his face making him look more handsome than before. It hurt that I shouldn't ask him what was wrong.

   His dark brows and sharp jawline made me hurt, but it made me feel calm. Calm despite the screaming music that was all around us. To my surprise, the police hadn't been summoned yet.

   I looked at my watch. It was only nine, and sleep sounded appealing.

   "Can you get me some more cigarettes and some punch?" Zach said hushed as he smoked. He didn't look at me. He just stared at the dark sky.

   "Yeah".

   I went inside to see a girl pouring alcohol in the punch, and Jesse trying to stop her. They were both terrificly drunk and happy. I poured Zach some anyway.

   A girls American Apparel purse was open. (I knew because I had the same one.) A pack of Marlboro Gold was nakedly visible.  She was asleep.

  I took both of my findings out to Zach in the backyard. The cool breeze lifted my dress up, enough to see my silk panties. Zach watched as I stood over him with my wind blowing in the breeze and the palm trees swaying softly.

   "Here" I said. He dropped his cigarette in the grass.

   I layed back on the lawn chair and observed all the stars in the sky. I hated staring into the night. I always had the feeling I would fall forever into it.

   Zach put his sunglasses back on, and picked at the threads in the large rip in his jeans over his pale knees.

   "Goddamn" He said. "I feel like I'm drinking acid" He said.

   "You are" I said.

   Alcohol would hopefully help him from being so blue.

   I got up and went inside. I walked upstairs because I was bored out of hell. I went down a dark hall, and found a large door that led to a balcony.

   I opened it to have doors swings shut, and the cold air grope my body. I liked it.

   The view overlooked the backyard, and the glow of Los Angeles was faint in the distance.

   Zach was still in the same spot, but he was curled up and letting sleep take over.

   I pulled my phone out my purse only to see rows and rows of notifications from Instagram and other social media shit.

   I opened it to see hundreds of likes and hundreds of people following me.

   I came to realize that there were multiple photos of me and Zach together at that gas station. Shit.

   Those chicks that sweet little Zach encountered probably did this.

   This added to my many reasons why I hated to leave the apartment, but oh well...

$$$

   I layed down back on the lawnchair; the one next to Zach besides the hydrangeas and the swimming pool.

   I lit another cig then put one in my mouth.

   I began to feel sleepy and let my hands run over the pavement and touch the large petals and blooms of the pale flowers besides me. I let my hands touch Zach's leather and his broad shoulders as he slept. Eventually I touched his soft, baby face. His lips, his brows, his cheeks, his jaw.

   I rolled over, then fell asleep calmly.

$$$

   I half awoke to a feeling I hadn't felt in fifteen years.

  My head fell back loosely and my limbs swung gently. My body was surrounded by heat, and my pulse felt stronger than drums, and my head vibrated softly.

   One arm held my back, and one held my lower torso.

   I opened my eyes softly to see Zach's beautiful face quiet in the moonlight.

   He had never held me before, and I loved it. It hurt so much to know that this wouldn't last.

   He looked terrific, and felt divine; his soft leather, and his blue jeans.

   He opened his car, and slid me in the backseat of his car.

   He started driving. I was still so dead, but being closer to him brought me closer to life. It was like I was riding in the car with a dark angel.

   I pretended to be asleep, but all I did was stare at Zach; the way the street lights would hit his face, the way his anger looked. It made my mouth water, and made my bones feel weak. with desire.

   I turned away, and pulled my dress up a couple of inches.

$$$

   Zach had found the keys from my purse and opened the door with me in his arms like a corpse.

   He layed me down gently onto the couch. I opened my eyes only to see his sillhouette leaving.

   The door shut. I let my hands wander over my thighs and breasts from sadness. A tear formed and he was gone.