13 - Supply Module 2

"How on Earth do we get down to that?" asked Kate.

All nine of the team were lined up along what had turned out to be a cliff edge. Before them, a jagged, deep crevasse split the rocky landscape, stretching far off in both directions in line with the range of mountains behind them. Chris estimated that it was around fifteen metres deep, maybe more, and towards eight wide. Not only was it too far to jump but failing to make the distance would result in an assuredly fatal fall.

Melissa's navigating had been remarkably accurate; Supply Module 2 was lying, mostly on its side, with the bottom end resting partway up the slope at the bottom of the far side of the crevasse. The cylindrical structure was badly twisted and several major tears were visible in the outer skin, revealing the hexagonal honeycomb structure within. In one place, near the top, even the honeycombed strengthening layer was split exposing some of the circular, metal ribs inside.

Chris suspected it had attempted to land above the crevasse, caught the side and toppled all the way to the bottom. It was too late to worry about what had happened here. He needed to find out what was left.

"That's not a shadow beneath it, is it?" Chris called back to the others. He was now some twenty metres further along the cliff edge, assessing it for anything that would help them.

"It's the water," replied Lucy, quietly. "It's leaked out."

"Our hundred-and-twenty tons of water is now down to just sixty," stated Fletcher.

"That's still almost a ton per person," said Kate.

"And that's not as much as you think it is," Fletcher growled.

Chris walked back to the rest of the group. "Okay, two things. First, I think it's getting dark. The sun's getting closer to the tops of those mountains ahead of us and it feels to me like the temperature is dropping already. Second, we need to get down to the supply module to see how bad the damage is inside."

"Down there?" asked Kate nervously.

"Fletcher, our remaining rope can reach the bottom, can't it?" Chris asked.

"We can't all get down there," said Lucy.

"Why not?" he asked.

"Who's going to hold the rope for the last person?"

"I've found a way around that. About fifteen metres that way, the edge has crumbled into the crevasse. There's enough of a lump of rock protruding from what's left to tie a rope to and the sloped edge will make it easier for us to drop over."

"It would be a lot safer with two ropes," said Fletcher. "We'll be dropping without a safety rope."

"You're right," added Lucy. "It is getting darker. The sun is touching the top of that next range of mountains."

"Who's best at tying knots?" asked Chris. "And who's got the rope?"

"Don't worry, Commander. I can tie decent knots," Fletcher replied.

"I've got the rope," shouted Anil Carter. He yanked his rucksack from his shoulder and set about digging out the thirty-metre nylon rope."

"Show me where to tie it, Commander," said Fletcher.

Chris was not sure whether he should go first or last. Was it better to coordinate the climbing from above and be the one to climb down trusting solely in the knot, or be the first one to risk it? Be decided on the latter, moved into position and waiting for Fletcher to finish checking the knot.

It turned out that the descent was easier than he expected. His hiking boots worked well against the cliff face, his H.E.P.O. gloves provided adequate grip on the rope and the slightly lower gravity than back on Earth made it easier to control his descent speed.