What is the answer?

Hmmm... the title of this article posed a puzzling question which I have been mulling over for months. I'm a frustrated PhD. in Library Science (maalesef, without the sheepskin) and a total research geek. You that know me and my writing style in other blog articles will not be surprised to learn I had to research the meaning of the term "rom-com". This is what I found in three different sources:

The Merriam-Webster Dictionary:

romantic comedy / noun

"a light, comic movie or other work whose plot focuses on the development of a romantic relationship; also called a rom-com."

The Oxford English Dictionary:

ro-man-tic com-e-dy" – noun

"a movie or play that deals with love in a light, humorous way"

Wikipedia: A longer but more descriptive definition:

"Romantic comedy" (aka rom-com) is a sub-genre of comedy and slice-of-life fiction, focusing on lighthearted, humorous plot lines centered on romantic ideas, such as how is able to surmount most obstacles. Typically, the two lovers tend to be young, likeable, and seemingly meant for each other. Yet they are kept apart by some complicating circumstance until, surmounting all obstacles, they reach a fairy-tale-style happy ending."

Romantic comedies are money-makers, can spawn franchises and spin-offs, and are popular in books, movies, and on television. Sexual tension is fun to watch. We all like rooting for a "will-they-won't-they" couple. Can this definition of a rom-com be found in the Turkish dizis categorized in the Romantic Comedy genre?

As fans of Turkish films and series, we all have our favorites. In the case of the series of talented young Turkish actor, Can Yaman, we watch our favorites over and over again. (Guilty!) His most recent series of "Dolunay", "Erkenci Kus", and "Bay Yanliş" (currently airing weekly on Turkey's FOX TV channel) are classified in the "Romantic Comedy" genre. However, each of these series does contain other elements besides the feel-good, lighthearted, comedic aspects one expects from a rom-com. Searching for an answer to the question in the title of this article, we will consider Can Yaman's 2017 series of "Dolunay" ("Full Moon"; aka "Bittersweet").

Evet! In the context of the dominant features of a "classic "rom-com", "Dolunay" does have lighthearted comedy, two young and very likeable lovers, complicated issues and circumstances, obstacles to overcome, etc., etc. As the storyline unfolds, however, dramatic events are revealed that take the main characters into dangerous, life-threatening situations with seedy underworld criminals. The series ventures away from the elements of a rom-com and over to the "dark side". Intrigue, deception, greed, smuggling, blackmail, and even murder for financial gain, take over the storyline. Even to the point of our two main characters facing a crazed criminal threatening their lives with a pointed gun.

Don't get me wrong. The series is one of my favorites. It is totally entertaining with the brilliant casting of Can Yaman (as Ferit Aslan) and Özge Gürel (as Nazli Pinar) as the main characters. The story is funny, romantic, heartbreaking in some parts, and dramatic as dramatic can be. But... is it a "true" rom-com? Probably not, but this is just my opinion.

Should these series be more realistically classified in the genre of "Comedy-Drama" or "Dramedy"? Considering that they combine elements of "comedy" and "drama", I would vote for this. But again, this is just my opinion. You decide!

Written for Can Yaman International

By Mary Bloyd, Resident Editor