fifteen - afterwards

chapter xv.

❝ That was nice

❝ That was nice... want to do it again? ❞

la push, washington
june 14, 2007

BULLETS FLEW as Josiah and Liam continued to shoot the oncoming vampires that seemed to appear out of nowhere: cornering them with Leah and Paul standing protectively in front of the two. Josiah couldn't help but feel absolutely useless watching both Leah and his brother get tackled to the ground. But that didn't stop him from firing his guns at the approaching vampires. Liam stood with his back to Josiah, firing his own gun at the piling vampires on top of Paul and Leah.

"There's too many of them!" Liam panted.

Before Josiah could respond, freezing hands managed to get a hold of his gun, crushing it instantly. Josiah's eyes widened in fear, taking a step back but came short when his back collided with a tree. Where the hell was the rest of the pack?

His thoughts were answered when a black wolf emerged from the trees along with the rest of the pack. Josiah's body slanted in relief; the vampire in front of him lost focus on the human and instead turned to the giant wolves attacking his friends. The relief didn't last long when Josiah caught sight of a vampire sneak behind Liam, grabbing him from behind. Without thinking Josiah grabbed his knife and stabbed the vampire right in the face. Although the knife broke on contact, he managed to get the vampire to loosen her grip on Liam ― freeing him.

The vampire hissed at Josiah and before he could blink she was right in front of him; she grabbed onto his neck, choking him. Josiah grasped her wrist, pulling with all his strength. The soldier made choking sounds as he tried to desperately get oxygen into his burning lungs, black spots taking over his vision. Before he could pass out from the lack of oxygen, Josiah felt the vampire's death grip on his neck disappear causing him to collapse onto the ground: coughing, gasping, panting, and cradling his throat in pain.

At the sight of his best friend being choked to death, Liam had managed to grab fallen log and swung it at the dark haired vampire, striking her at the side of her head, shocking her and making her release Josiah. Liam tightened his grip on the log as the vampire slowly turned around with a snarl on her face.

The soldier glared at the creature in front of him, "What are you waiting for? Come on!"

Liam staggered back in shock as a member of the pack jumped onto the vampire, ripping her head off with a growl. He gave the white-greyish wolf a thankful nod. Josiah let out another fit of coughs, snapping Liam's attention back to him.

"Jay, hey!" Liam kneeled down next to his friend, placing his hand on the back of his neck, "You okay?"

Josiah could only nod, still struggling to breathe normally due to the burning sensation on his throat. After a couple more seconds, the eldest Lahote lifted his face to find Liam looking down at him with worried eyes.