Chapter 7

They watched Sherlock running down the stairs and Lex quickly rushed to the window to watch where and what the man was doing. John stood not too far away from her with his phone to his ear. The sound of cub pulling away could be heard. "He just got in a cab. *turns to Lestrade* It's Sherlock. He just drove off in a cab"

Donovan who was standing beside Lestrade tutted in irritation. "I told you, he does that. *turns to Lestrade* He bloody left again *walks back into the kitchen, talking loudly* We're wasting our time!"

Lex rolled her eyes at the drama of the Sergeant and looked at John who had still the phone next to his ear.

"I'm calling the phone. It's ringing out" he said to the Detective.

"If it's ringing, it's not here"

The woman lifted her hands and looked up at the sky, wanting to smack anyone who thought that the phone was in the apartment with them. Sherlock would have noticed, that was certain and even if the impossible happened and he didn't, someone would have by now.

John lowered the phone and reached for the computer, not failing to look at the gesture Lex had done a few seconds prior. "I'll try the search again"

Donovan returned, causing out heroine to frown. "Does it matter? Does any of it? You know, he's just a lunatic, and he'll always let you down, and you're wasting your time. All our time"

Standing up, Lex marched and stood in front of the Sergeant. She stared her down in the eyes for a long time, her brown hues daring her. "Want to say that again?" she spat, her right hand slightly itching.

The Policewoman stared back, not intimidated by the actions of our heroine. However, the longer she stared, the more uncomfortable she felt. In defeat, at last, she looked away and left out a sigh of frustration. Lestrade decided to interfere before some murder would take place, worrying about the safety of the very commentary Sergeant.

"Okay, everybody. Done 'ere" he shouted.

============================================

It didn't take long for everyone to pack their things and go, allowing some peace for John and Lex who had their minds on Sherlock. He was fully capable of keeping himself safe but that didn't mean they weren't worried about his actions; his actions that were still unclear to them.

"Why did he do that? Why did he have to leave?" Lestrade asked them as he wore his coat.

Lex shrugged and John spoke up for both of them. "You know him better than we do"

"I've known him for five years and no, I don't"

"So why do you put up with him?"

"Because I'm desperate, that's why" was his reply and walked towards the door but came to a halt. "And because Sherlock Holmes is a great man. And I think one day if we're very, very lucky, he might even be a good one"

Lex smiled at the man, understanding why Sherlock slightly tolerated him more than others. He was a good man and a smart one as well. She was thankful there were people like him in the police force.

===========================================

Some time passed and Lex had decided to make some tea for both of them while waiting for Sherlock. She was in the kitchen, deep in thought; he was alone in the living room. He walked and by instinct clenched his right hand as if realizing that he didn't have his walking cane. He looked around and saw the cane lying on top of a box of papers next to the dining table and went over to collect it.