Act I, Scene II

"The very first moment I beheld him, my heart was irrevocably gone."
~ Jane Austen, Love and Friendship

__________

Stunned into silence, Lucy stared at the doctor.

They were the same. She could feel it. Sense it. But not explain it. Like finding a kindred spirit in a mob of strangers. Like being awakened from a troubling dream by a rush of icy water.

Lucy watched as Dr. Reed returned her gaze, his eyes widening in recognition. He stared at her as though he were a dying man beholding an angel. He stared at her as though he truly saw her.

No one had ever looked at her like that.

Lucy's skin rippled.

How likely could it be to meet another immortal in a macabre, over-populated hospital such as this? And a physician, no less! Presumably well-read and sophisticated. Poised and handsome. With intelligent, guarded eyes...

He was nothing like the demonic, fanged creatures that roamed through the maze of London's dim and dirty streets. Hidden in shadows, with gaping jaws and scarlet eyes, those beasts were mindless scavengers, existing only to fill their most basic need: blood.

No. This doctor was nothing like them. Even costumed in his soiled lab coat, with exhaustion etched around his dark eyes, he radiated higher intelligence and deeper purity.

"Madam? Y'hear me? I says Dr. Reed'll help you."

Likely confused by her stillness, the orderly repeated himself. The harsh sound of his Liverpool accent brought Lucy out of her stupor.

She expelled the hostage air from her lungs. Observing Dr. Reed, Lucy had a disturbing realization: in addition to being sleep deprived, he appeared to be clinging to his last shred of consciousness. He needed to feed. Immediately.

"I see," she said. "Thank you kindly."

She acknowledged the orderly with a dismissive wave, having already forgotten the contours of his pudgy face.

She crossed the lobby and went through the adjoining doorway to where Dr. Reed stood, approaching him the way she would a spooked horse. Although it was unlikely that he was more of a fledgling to this nocturnal existence than she, Lucy had no way of knowing how well he could control his cravings and appetite. It would be reckless to risk upsetting him.

As she dipped into a subtle curtsy, Lucy found herself wondering if Dr. Reed was one of Dr. Rosencrantz' aforementioned associates. If so, why had Dr. Rosencrantz not specifically mentioned him upon sending her to London Hospital? She would inquire when next she saw him.

"It's a pleasure to make your acquaintance, Dr. Reed."

Her voice took on a tone of caution. His face was so pale, so insipid — he looked as though he might collapse at any moment.

"My name is Lucy Penn. I realize that means nothing to you, Doctor, but I was sent here for your aid."

Dr. Reed blinked once. Twice. His eyes were glassy. He reached for her, as though he would shake her hand, but the gesture fell short, and his arm returned limply to his side.

"Lucy. Penn," he parroted her name back to her, his brow furrowed and his voice weak. "Miss Penn. Yes...a pleasure. I am...Thomas Reed."

He was fading.

Masking her alarm with a forced smile, Lucy gave him a polite nod. She leaned in as closely as she dared, apprehensive about possible prying eyes and ears.

She lowered her voice to a whisper. "I know you are thirsty, Doctor. Is there somewhere private we might go? I have, in my possession, something that may help you."

~ * ~