Chapter 18

**I have the day off and am eleven chapters ahead on this story, so here's an extra!

As always, if you enjoy the chapter, hit that comment/vote button to let me know**

The Change In Me

    I froze at the sound of the prince's voice, breath coming in tiny pants as I struggled for air.

Slowly, I brought my eyes up to where he stood, just inside the door, a bewildered look on his face as he took in the scene before him.

I had to admit it was quite the bizarre sight. Not only were the four of us completely covered in frosting from our childish fight, but I was actually laughing and smiling along with them. His gaze landed on my flushed face and lingered there, studying it.

He looked devastatingly handsome in a tailored black and silver suit, as if he had just been entertaining someone important.

I ducked my head to avoid being sucked into the hypnotic pull of his eyes and pretended not to feel that ever-present tug toward him, the one that didn't seem to care about my personal feelings on the matter. Just that I was close to him.

His sisters used the distraction to their advantage, sneaking up beside him on either side and wrapping their arms tightly around him. He made a disgruntled sound in his throat as he attempted to extricate himself from their grasp to peer down at his ruined clothing. His lips parted and he looked like he might have chastised them if not for the giggle that had bubbled up my throat, surprising us both.

His attention fell on me once again. I tried not to squirm under the weight of it.

Matteo cleared his throat, finally answering the prince's question, "Rose was just teaching us how to cook."

Those violet eyes never left mine, "Is that so?"

I swallowed with a slow nod, opening my hand and feeling a clump of frosting fall to the floor.

It was then that he seemed to notice the state of the rest of the room. "Where are the cooks?"

"I'd assume they're in their homes by now," Evelina said, washing her hands before searching the drawers for a towel. "We dismissed them hours ago. Rose wishes for them to keep their pay."

He raised a brow, but before he could question it, the timer for the cupcakes chimed, giving me the excuse I needed to look away from him. While they cooled, I busied myself with making a fresh batch of frosting, all the while feeling his eyes glued to me.

Evelina must have read the unspoken question he was mulling over on his face, stating matter-of-fact, "She used to work in a bakery." The teasing glint in her eye told me she enjoyed the fact that she knew more about me that he didn't a bit too much.

He nodded, but didn't comment, a troubled look flitting across his features for a moment before slipping behind a neutral mask.

I taught Matteo and the princesses how to frost, though the room was much quieter than it had been before. Our silent spectator only watched on.

When I turned to toss a spoon into the sink, I found my face inches from a broad chest. I froze to my spot, but he didn't move to put any more distance between us. Instead, he took a gentle hold of my chin, tilting my head up until I had no choice but to look at his face. His gaze was mesmerizing from such close proximity, the blues and purples swirling together within them, and I couldn't look away as his other hand raised to my cheeks, gently wiping at them with a damp towel.

I released a breath that I hadn't realized that I had been holding when Evelina cleared her throat gently behind him, breaking us from our spell, "Is dinner nearly ready? I'm starving."