Chapter 3: The Dwarf Prince

♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡
When the house grew quiet, Estella grew eerie. Just a moment ago the house was booming with happiness and laughter. Now it was so quiet she could hear her own heartbeat. Boom, boom. It steadily beat against her chest. Estella and her cousin follow the wizard to greet the newcomer. The other dwarves watched from the distance. They all stood as tall as they can. Their chests puffed out proudly. Whoever was waiting beyond the door, the dwarves held to high regard. Estella didn't know it but she held her breath within her lungs. With anticipation building up inside of her, she stands close to Bilbo, a stern grip on his forearm. Bilbo wouldn't admit it to Estella but he was so curious. Deep down he was actually excited. Gandalf slowly opened the door, and there he stood. A dwarf with sharp features. Long black hair. His eyes glanced around the house quickly and when Estella met his her breath hitched. Blue meeting brown. Ocean washing up onto Earth. Time felt so slow in that split second their eyes met. Bilbo stared in awe of this man as well. He wasn't like the other dwarves, though he bared some qualities that were similar to Kili and Fili.

Estella's mouth urged to drop open when the dwarf walked in and talked. His voice gravelly and deep. It was like a symphony. Almost beautiful from words so common. "Gandalf. I thought you said this place would be easy to find." He grumbled. The man was grumpy. He wore it on his face in a scowl-like frown. Estella might've thought that he was just pissed off but soon she would find out that it was his resting face. " I lost my way, twice." He clips off his cloak and drapes it over his arm.

      Estella raises a brow. Was the Shire really that complicated? The others seemed to have no trouble. The man glances at the open door behind him. " I wouldn't have found it at all, had it not been for that mark on the door." He says. Bilbo almost looked like he was going into cardiac arrest.

       "Mark?" He gasped. "There's no mark on that door, it was painted a week ago!"

       Estella laughs nervously when Bilbo goes to examine his door. She quickly slides between him and his entrance, closing the door with her rear. "Better if you don't look at it, don't you think?"

      "There is a mark, I've put it there myself," Gandalf admits, almost quietly. The disapproving look that Bilbo had for Estella quickly turned to the tall wizard. There is an awkward pause before Gandalf continues. "Bilbo Baggins, allow me to introduce the leader of our company, Thorin Oakenshield." Thorin looked over Bilbo. He looked down at him as if he was prey. Bilbo shifted his weight to each foot uncomfortably under Thorin's gaze.

       "So, this is the hobbit." Thorin scoffs. He hands his cloak to Kili, retaining eye contact with Bilbo." Tell me, Mr.Baggins, have you done much fighting?"

        Bilbo's head slightly tilts and he chuckles as if what Thorin said was a joke,
"Pardon me?" He shared a confused look with Estella quickly before turning his attention back to the dwarf.

      "Axe or sword, what's your weapon of choice?" The question made Estella wanted to laugh. The image of her Bilbo carrying an axe far too large for him, trying to swing it and ultimately falling on his butt. Thorin begins to circle around Bilbo.

       "Well, I do have some skill at conkers, if you must know. But I fail to see why that's relevant."

        The second-hand embarrassment spread over Estella. Her cheeks grew pink for Bilbo while he remained absolutely clueless. Thorin shakes his head, " I thought as much. He looks more like a grocer than a burglar." Bilbo scoffs, offended as the other dwarves laugh.

         "Now, now!" Estella barks in Bilbo's defence. "Bilbo may not be experienced in the way of a warrior, but if you're looking for a hobbit then Bilbo is the best you'll get!" Bilbo flashed her a horrified look. A tad bit grateful but none-the-less horrified.