You, Me, And Her Make...

The next night, everything was set for the party.  I had not said anything to Trace or Jay about my not attending, I did not want either of them to ask too many questions.   I did not wish to lie.  Instead, I intended to slip out shortly after the party began.  I would make sure that there were people who knew where I was going, but I did not want my departure brought to Trace's notice, because he would worry.  Instead, I would slip out and allow him to just enjoy himself.  I trusted that I had nothing to worry about as far as other women went.  He had been loyal to me for over a year and I believed that he would remain such.

     I dressed in an all-black outfit that either could have been casual party wear or reasonable clothing for a job.  I figured that if I could not be home for the night, then I would make myself useful.  I knew there were a couple of orders that needed an agent to fulfill them, so I figured that I would contact the Optics and see what I could take on short notice.  I wanted to be home for when Allegra would come back in the morning, so I could not travel too far, but there had to be something that I could do.  Anything to keep my mind off of this stupid bet.

     As the crowd filtered in, I distanced myself from Trace.  I hung around the bar, chatting with Gordie as I drank a glass of whiskey.  I had sent a message to the Optics, letting them know that I was actively seeking an immediate mission nearby.  I was merely awaiting their response, hoping that I would hear from them soon, before Trace came looking for me; I knew that I could only avoid him for so long.

     "Been awhile."  Gordie remarked.

     "Yeah."  I offered, I liked Gordie, but I did not feel much like talking.

     "You and Trace break up?"  Gordie questioned, nodding in Trace's direction.

     I turned, watching the women beginning to gather around Trace, tripping all over themselves for him to notice them.  But he did not seem to be giving much of his attention to anyone, he kept scanning the crowd, looking for someone; looking for me.

     "No, we didn't.  I'm just not into partying anymore, that's why I won't be sticking around tonight."  I shrugged, trying not to let the gaggle of bimbos surrounding my boyfriend bother me.

     "Really?  Why are you leaving?"

     "Gotta work."

     I slammed back the last of my whiskey and said bye to Gordie.  I grabbed my phone off of the bar and headed to the garage.  I climbed into my sleek, black Saleen and took off.  I had to get out of there.  I could not stand seeing those women fawning all over Trace.  Before I backed out of this whole thing completely, I needed to leave.  So, I decided I would go for a drive and hope that something came through soon.  If it did not, then maybe I would just go looking for some trouble.  I could use a good fight tonight.

     Finally, my phone buzzed with a quick, local mission.  A client requires documents from one of his competitors; something involving illegal dumping.  This worked out well for me; it was an easy job and it would stop a company from poisoning the environment.  My clients may not have been the most law-abiding citizens, but they were not damaging the earth.  So, at least, that is something, I guess.

     I sent back my acceptance, then turned in the direction of the warehouse.  I would need a bit of equipment for this.  I had to kill time anyway, this job was exceedingly simple, and I did not want to get home until late.  After gathering my equipment, then studying the blueprints of the office, I headed out for the mission.

     I knew that it would be difficult to make my way into the office building, directly.  There was a security guard posted in the lobby and I did not want to have to subdue some poor old man who is just looking to pay his bills.  Instead, I elected to take the roof, this way I could attempt to avoid the security all together.  They are not trained the way that I am, I did not want to accidentally hurt anyone.