36. The Goddess, The Fallen God, and The True God

SKERPLA DAY OF MOON

The glaring light was too bright that I woke up from it. I was welcomed by the sight of men lining up at my bedside. The interior was familiar as it had the same layered stained logs that I saw when I visited Reichen the other day.

"You're finally awake. I would have murdered the fvcking doctors if you slept any longer."

"What are you doing here, Night?"

The last thing I remembered was Yves had put something in my drink. That freaking brother of mine! To think that I had trusted him even for a fraction of a second. 

"We kidnapped you."

"What? Are you in your right mind? I had to go back. I... I..."

If I was here and those two were at Ezriel without me, I was sure Father would know by now. Panic consumed me figuring that they would be blamed and they would suffer the outcome. I was just cursing Yves but I did not actually want something to happen to him.

"Calm down, Ace." Night took my shaking hands. "That brat, Yves, got everything handled. No one will suffer because of you. You were already in Ezriel when we took you."

"Are you confident about that? Everything in that palace is all a product of deceit."

"I'm fully aware, Ace. But I made sure no one will be harmed so you don't have to feel liable for your escape. I had contacted Yves and everything was calculated to dupe that cunning king. I received reports that he is ferreting round for you but we bought some time and he won't suspect us."

I was aware that Night had few clues on my situation but the tone of certainty made me doubt if he knew everything and something dawned on me as he spoke.

"Does that mean you arranged all of this?"

"Yes but that idiot made a mistake. I told him to give you only a sip but he let you drink the whole thing that was why you woke up so late. I'll strangle that neck of his when we meet again."

The lines on my forehead sunk deeper into his words.

"How did you even manage to work with Yves?"

Night quickly avoided my eyes and I faced the other two men who had been silently watching us.

"I have no idea. I was only in charge of making commotions and adhering to Night's instructions," Blaze answered, shaking his head in denial.

"Me either. I was quite surprised when I saw you here in my cottage," reasoned Reichen.

I looked back to Night and he cleared his throat. "Well, that's not the point right now. You should understand that you can't go back to the palace at the moment."

I should be glad. Ecstatic, even. Granted that if this happened in the past but since it was in the present, everything screamed shadiness to me.

"But why are you just doing it at this stage when you even stopped me last time, Night? You even said I have an enchantment so I cannot leave. So why now?"

"An enchantment? Who did it to you?" interrupted Reichen.

"Shut up, bastard. What are you two even doing here? You should have been gone a while ago."

"So heartless. After I took the effort I assisted you when you are Reichen's rival."

"You know we are here to help you explain when we woke up. You even used my cottage."

"Hah. Yours? This is the fvcking hideout that you're treating like a home, dumbass."

"Night," I called before they started arguing while I didn't comprehend a single thing.