| Chapter One |

The sky was dim. No stars shone beyond the smoky clouds that covered them. The crescent moon barely peeked out behind them if not for her milky white light as strong as the scales of a legendary midnight dragon. She watched the land below her carefully, gazing upon the steady clopping of multiple horses' hooves on the cold, autumn ground.

     The beautiful equines were dressed in leather straps to pull a carriage decorated with expensive paints and metals. The very body of the carriage was made from the wood of the rarely seen luxis tree. The deep scarlet of the wood was covered by deep black paint. The bottom was covered in crimson paint that was always cleaned after drives so the true beauty of it always showed.

     Upon the doors were intricate golden patterns that even in the dark, was astonishing to lay eyes on. The wheels were the same crimson red that was on the bottom of the carriage but combined with the gold to make them look even more outstanding. The carriage was fit for royalty.

     While the coachman sat upon the front, watching where they were going. It was much more beautiful outside of the carriage, even if he felt as if he was going to freeze. It was getting colder by the day so not even his thick wool sweater could protect him. Winter was just around the corner, waiting to wreak havoc on any unprepared fellow.

     He jumped as thump resonated from inside the horse-driven carriage. A slew of curses made their way to his reddening ears.

     "Your... Your Majesty, is there anything wrong?" He rose his voice to ask.

     "Everything is fine, Mister Sadon. His Majesty fell off his seat in his slumber." Answered the king's private advisor, Lord Zulg.

     "Ah, very well."

     Inside the carriage was the king, a beastly looking man. He stood tall with muscles built from years of fighting in his youth. His tanned face looked older than what he truly was. His thick brows were almost as unruly as his long dark red mane that was heavy with hair beads and bands.

     Despite his brutish nature, he dressed as royalty should. A blouse made of cotton dyed a blazing red sat upon him tucked into thick brown trousers. To keep him warm was a cloak made of furs from foxes that were hunted by townsmen. The furs were woven into a soft scarlet fabric.

     "Damn, why'd I get this small thing! I can barely fit in here. I don't know how Catrain can snuggly slumber in these things." He growled, hitting the roof in irritation.

     "She is smaller than we are, Your Majesty." Zulg, an orc and even taller than the king, stated.

     The king scowled, "Yes, but it's still not as comfortable as a bed. The room it has allows no free movement!"

     Zulg gave a grunt of agreement. They went silent, letting the sounds of the horses overtake the carriage once more. This time, the orc's head began to nod. Every time it dipped down, he jerked upwards. The darkness didn't help his want for sleep. He hadn't been able to close his eyes for more than 24 hours. He was too busy keeping watch of danger. Not for the king, the king didn't need such a thing as strong as he was, but for the equines and the coachman who had no experience with fighting like he and the king did.

     His moment of weakness caused by drowsiness caused him to almost miss the noise that cut clear through the tree and startled the coachman. A cry similar to that of a banshee. So ear bleedingly shrill.

     He pounced back into a state of caution, amber eyes darting around in search of danger. Not only him, but the king was alert. The thumping of feet mixed in with the horses' hooves, almost unnoticeably.