Chapter 14

I struggled against my captor, thrashing around and stirring the water into a frenzy. Almost as quickly as they'd appeared, the hands vanished. I bit back a cry of pain as I glanced at my shoulder.

He swam in front of me with his hands outstretched in front of him. Kind grey eyes stared back at me, filled with remorse. My notepad was in my hand almost instantly. David? What's going on? Where's Jay?

It was only when I looked around that I realized we weren't alone. A familiar figure swam out of the darkness, the mermaid's expression filled with guilt. I see you've met David. Her hands were trembling as she signed, her eyes downcast.

I shook my head. I can't believe you! All this time... We didn't know if you were alive! Meri, Naia, and I have been worried sick!

Her expression turned hopeful at the mention of my sisters. Are they okay? Where are they?

My chest was heaving as I looked at her. I turned to David, a shocked expression on my face. How do you know my mom?

He took a breath, exhaling slowly. It was a few weeks after Tiger Shark's identity had been revealed. She knew he would be targeting her, so she packed a bag and left your village, swimming for days. I was heading back from visiting my family when I ran into her. She had been patrolling Nepptheas, making sure nothing was out of place.

His expression darkened as he met my gaze, and I wondered how long he'd kept the story under wraps. After introducing myself, I mentioned your name, and she lit up, begging me to take her to you. Before we could, however, I got word that soldiers had started doing twenty-four-hour sweeps of the village. We've been here ever since, waiting for a chance to leave.

My eyes had lit up as he'd signed. Come back with us, Mom. We can all be together! Naia and Meri will be thrilled to see you! By the time I'd finished signing, the faint smell of blood had filled the water. David and I both turned to my shoulder. The bandage was almost entirely off, the wound still an angry red.

He shook his head, swimming to my side and fixing the bandage. No. You're in no condition to be swimming. You've already torn your wound open again.

Mom had swum beside David as we were talking, her gaze worried. Sleep, Nerissa. It's alright. You're safe now.

I wanted to protest, but weariness slowly crept behind me and tapped me on the shoulder. David noticed and led me to a cot, gently easing me down. Rest. I'm not going anywhere. Mom gazed at me from where she floated at his side, hands fisted at her side as if she was afraid she'd hurt me.

The instant my eyes closed, images appeared in my mind, moving rapidly. Once again, I couldn't hear anything, but my other senses were working overtime. The smell of blood and fear scented the water. In the distance, a crowd of people were floating in a circle, staring at something. My fins prickled as I swam closer.

Familiar faces framed by black and brown hair, respectively, stared up at the surface through unseeing eyes. Their hands were clenched into fists, and their bodies were rigid; they'd gone down fighting.

A strangled cry broke from my throat, tears forming in my eyes. David. Jay. My heart ran to the back of my chest, curled its knees up to its chest, and hid, trembling. No matter how many times I inhaled, I couldn't seem to get a single gulp of water. I slowly sank to the ground, hugging myself.

Before I could process what was happening, hands were suddenly on my shoulders, helping me off the ground. Concerned faces stared back at me, but I didn't notice them. I shook them off and swam closer to the bodies. They were beside each other, but their position left a tiny sliver of space between them. I grabbed their hands, almost recoiling at the coldness and stiffness of their muscles.

I glanced at the open water, wondering if it could give me a clue as to who had done this. A flash of black hair streaked with grey appeared in the corner of my eye. As soon as I turned my head, it was gone.

I jolted awake, my body trembling with the force of my tears. Jay was at my side in a heartbeat, a hand on my uninjured shoulder. Deep breaths, Rissa. Calm down. I'm right here.

It was the same as the dream: I couldn't breathe. One thought ran through my mind, tearing my heart to shreds: Could Mom have been working with Tiger Shark?

Read and review!