Chapter 38

"What're we going to do?" I asked panicking a little as the walkers shake the van.

"Get in the front," Daryl said.

Carol sat in the passenger set and Daryl was in the driver's seat. Before I could ask what I was supposed to Daryl pulled me down on his lap. "What're you doing?" I gasped.

"Just shut up and help me put this seatbelt on," Daryl growled. Once it clicked he leaned up and grabbed Carol's hand and wrapped his other on around my waist. "Brace yourself and lean forward," he said

I put my hand on the dash and braced myself as I  felt the van start to teeter and then fall. I closed my eyes and then felt the van hit the ground. I felt Daryls arm tighten around me so I would hit the steering wheel. 

I slowly opened my eyes and then jumped when I heard a loud bang then another bang. A walker hit the windshield breaking it and getting blood everywhere. Daryl unlocked the seat belt and I leaned back into him taking a shaky breath. I looked over to Carol as she held her arm. "Are you okay?" I asked her.

"Hit my arm but I'll be fine," she said.

"Well, unlock at it once we get somewhere safe," I told her.

I opened the driver's side door and got out of the van once the walkers stopped falling. Daryl got out after me and Carol walked around the van. We walked to a building and went up the stairs. We passed a dead walker and grabbed the machete and bag full of chips.

We walked to a large window that looked over at the Grady Memorial Hospital. Daryl and Carol talked and I walked around looking for something I could use for carols arm. I found a sheet and made a sling out of it.  "Here, it'll keep your arm relatively still," I told her and put it over her head and put her arm in it.

We were just standing around when he heard gunshots. We ran towards them and ended up finding the kid that took our guns and Daryls crossbow. He was trapped under a bookshelf and a walker was on top of that trying to get to him. Daryl walked over grabbing a carton of cigarettes and pulling a pack out then pulling one out of the pack and lighting it.

The kid begged for help but Daryl grabbed him a crossbow and out guns and started to walk away. "Daryl," I said.

"What? He took our guns and my crossbow!" He said.

"So he doesn't deserve to die. He was scared," I said.

He huffed and killed the walker. He then lifted the heavy bookcase off the kid and he crawled out from under it. "Are you alright?" I asked and looked him over.

"Dr. Nikyla Grimes," I told him once I saw him looking at me wearily.

"Noah," he said.

It turned out he had come from Grady and he knew Beth. He told us that tried to escape but she got caught saving him. We had gone downstairs and as Carol ran out in the street to get to the other side a car hit her. "Carol!" I said and went running after her but Daryl grabbed me after Noah stopped him.

"She's hurt," I said.

"They can help her. She'll be alright," Noah said.

We ended up finding a van and heading back to the church. I sat in the middle between Daryl and Noah. It was kinda cramped. I could feel the exhaustion taking over me. I laid my head on Daryls shoulder and he looked down for a second before he looked back at the road. "What are ya doing?" He asked.

I could feel he was tense "I'm tired," I said and closed my eyes.

I felt someone shaking me "Get up were here,"

I opened my eyes and saw we were pulled alongside a road. "We gotta walk to the church," Daryl said.

I yawned and the three of us got out of the truck. We walked through some bushes and trees to be met with Carl and Michonne.

When I walked into the church Rick grabbed me and hugged me "don't take off like that again," he said.

"Yes dad," I said smirking at him.

We introduced Noah and told them about Beth and Carol. Daryl, Rick, Noah, Sasha, Tyresse, and I were all going back to the city. Abraham, Rosita, Eugene, Maggie, and Glenn were going to head to D.C. and we would meet them there. Michonne and Carl were staying at the church with Judith and Gabriel.

While we were gone Bob had gotten kidnapped by those freaks from Terminus. They took his leg and then dropped him in front of the church. It had turned out he had been bitten early. Ty ended up putting him down before he changed when he died.

We got ready and left heading back to the city and finding an empty building near the hospital. And we made a plan. Noah told us about their routine. We had caught three of the police and one got loose and ran. Rick ran after him and ended up killing him.

We had a deal with the leader at the hospital to return her people for our people. We took them to the hospital and exchanged hers for ours. Then she wanted Noah back. He was going to with her but Beth stopped him and went up to Dawn the leader of the group.

"I get it now," she said and stabbed her with surgical scissors. Being surprised Dawn ended up shooting Beth in the head. I was standing behind her and was sprayed with blood. "No!" I screamed falling to the ground and bring Beth into my lap. Daryl stepped forward and shot Dawn between the eyes.

"No. I'm so sorry. I'm sorry," I whispered into Beth's hair as I held her and cried. Daryl knelt beside me and put his hand on my shoulder. I looked up at him and saw he had tears in his eyes.

I laid Beth's head in my lap and flung myself at him. I buried my head in his shoulder and cried. I felt him hesitantly wrap his arms around. I could hear Rick talk to the people saying they were welcome to join us but they refused.

Daryl then let go and picked Beth up while Rick helped me to my feet. I walked beside Daryl as we all walked out of the hospital. I saw Maggie as she stopped screaming and dropping to the ground crying after seeing her sister dead in Daryls arms.