Chapter Sixteen

"Wait!" Ursad whispered urgently as he pulled Shade down behind some large boulders. She crouched next to him, reaching for her sword and quickly surveying the area.

"What? What is it? What do you see?" she asked. Her heart jumped in her chest as she waited, straining to hear a sound. The birds were singing, and the rustle of leaves swayed above them like an ocean wave. She saw and heard nothing. Irritated, she turned toward Ursad, but he had a hand up to stop her from speaking.

"Look." He pointed out in front of them. She followed his finger out into the woods and narrowed her eyes. The vegetation was thicker here, with small bushes, vines, and flowers covering the forest floor. Tall grasses shielded the dirt from the sunlight and made travel just that much more difficult. Shade scanned the area but shook her head. "I don't see anything."

Ursad placed a finger to his lips, pointing again slightly farther to the right. "There, do you see them? Right there, in the rays of light the sun has cast near the stream."

Shade looked again, not really expecting to see anything when she did. Her eyes widened, and her mouth dropped. Unicorns! She watched the three creatures prance around the small stream. One was drinking the water, licking it up with its large, pink tongue. Its coat was a shiny brown, with a stark white mane and tail. The other two were all white, like the crystal snow in winter. Their coats shone almost like diamonds. Shade exhaled a breath in amazement and smiled widely.

Ursad was also smiling, admiring the creatures with awe.

"Are they actual unicorns? I thought that they didn't exist. Wow!" Shade turned back to watch them after Ursad nodded. One of the white ones nuzzled the brown one then also began lapping at the water. They neighed happily, unaware of the watchers before them. Their long legs moved gracefully through the tall grasses, and their glistening horns reminded Shade of the swirls of a candy cane stick. She felt an almost uncontrollable urge to touch one. Her fingers itched as she clenched her hands into fists and fought the compulsion to stand and walk straight toward them. She didn't want to frighten them but didn't know why she felt this way.

"Come on Shade. Unicorns like their privacy. They're a rare sight. I've seen these three many times, but that's only because I live near here. I thought you might like them. It's quite a gift that they're allowing you to see them, but we have to get going. It will be dark all too soon."

Shade shook her head. "But I... can I touch them, Ursad? They're the most beautiful things I have ever seen. Let me touch them, please!" she cried, her body trembling as she moved forward, filled with childlike excitement.

Ursad instantly had a hold of her arm and tugged, shaking his head. "Shade, look at me. Their beauty is unparalleled. It's part of their appeal, but if a human touches them, it could prove fatal. They will charm you then stab you through the heart. Only a winged unicorn would ever accept a rider, and as you can see, these are not of that breed. We must move on, Shade! You're bespelled. Let it go. Will it away." He tugged harder.

Shade felt herself needing to walk toward them but followed Ursad until they were out of sight, and the overpowering urge subsided. "What was that, Ursad? Why show me the unicorns in the first place, if they can kill me? Really, what was the point if you were just going to pull me away?" An overwhelming gloom stuck to her as tears glistened in her eyes. Her weakness seemed so obvious, and she hoped he wouldn't laugh.

"The unicorns are gorgeous, yes, and they might seem harmless... but like the sirens of mythology, they lure you to your death. It's best if you do not think of them anymore. I just thought that it would be good that you saw them, so you could see and feel the weight of their pull, and know just how dangerous they can be. If you were by yourself, who knows what would've happened?" Ursad cut down some of the branches around them as he spoke. The forest's greenery thickened as they progressed. It was almost as thick as a jungle now.

"Well, thank you, Ursad. It's weird to be drawn to an animal like that. I feel strange like I'm waking up from a drugged sleep, or like I'm hung-over, not that I really ever have gotten drunk or anything like that... You know, it's just an expression."

Shade yawned and pulled out her flask of water. The cool, sweet fluid met her lips and always seemed to chase the sadness away. She felt instantly better, revived. I wonder why my energy fluctuates so much. It made her think about feeling drugged at Ursad's cottage. A moment or so later, she shrugged off her slight concern. I'm probably not healed completely. She was still shocked that she'd actually jumped into a raging, rushing waterfall.

"Yes. Not everything in Faerie is what it seems. Beauty can be evil, and kindness can be a trap. Eating food from a Faerie could trap you here forever." He paused, glancing back at her for a moment before continuing. "Dancing to music in Faerie could make you dance until you die. Sprites and pixies can be quite devilish and conniving. The faerie courts may be glamorous, but everyone has their own agendas at heart. Goblins can be kind or wicked, friend or foe. It all depends. Entire dwellings could be just under your feet, and you wouldn't even know it. Just remember, Shade- trust no one and you'll be all right." He swung his machete-like sword again, slicing the underbrush out of their way.

"Does that apply to you, too?" Shade chuckled, teasing Ursad but throwing him a playful smile. He continued to clear the underbrush without saying anything. She watched him, wondering what he was thinking. "So is it true? Faeries can't lie?" Shade dodged a fallen log and turned into the slim openings of the grass that Ursad made.

"Tell a lie? Well, faeries have a funny way of stretching the truth. Most, you'll find, try to be honest. You can also frequently run into the type that gets off by messing with your mind." Ursad paused, rubbing his arm and breathing slightly hard. He apparently wasn't used to so much physical activity and most likely preferred to hang around his cottage as opposed to traveling. "We're almost to the small faery town of Genoden. It's about a half an hour away. When we get close, use the cloak that I gave you and pull your hood over your head. We don't want any unwanted attention." He continued through the brush as she pulled the cloak out.

It was dirt brown and very plain in design. The brooch clip at the neck was like the wing of a bird, the bronze shimmering in the sunlight. She draped it over her arm and hugged the bulk of it to her chest. At least this would definitely not make her stand out. Walking behind Ursad, she could hear him curse the hard labor, crunching on the fallen twigs and debris. She focused on what he told her about faeries and lies, but more on the part about unwanted attention. Her mind pushed on to the thought of Genoden and what possibilities lay ahead for her there.

"Fey have a funny way of stretching the truth," Ursad had just told her. The part about them messing with the mind alarmed her the most. As they traveled closer to the town of Genoden, she didn't think an old hooded cloak was going to protect her. Even so, Shade knew it was probable that she was going to get attention, wanted or not.