Chapter Fifteen

Location: New Haven, Connecticut
Date: December 7th, 1949
Name: Eleanor Hazel Bush
Age: twenty-three

It seemed like Dale was on a mission. He had made a way to make her feel special every day since they first went out, and Eleanor loved it.

She had always dreamed of having a man be dedicated to her, and now she had one. It was nice.

"They're so beautiful," She whispered as she smelled the bouquet of roses that Dale sent her a couple of hours earlier.

Along with the roses, he sent another sweet note.

'My beautiful, Norah.

I hope the roses met you well.

At 5:30 in the evening, I will be escorting you to dinner.
I will see you then.

Yours,
Dale.'

So now Eleanor was waiting for the clock to strike five-thirty so she could be with Dale.

He was exceeding her expectations.

"Is he still being an jerk, Hazie?" Leroy asked as he watched Eleanor pace the floor.

Eleanor shook her head and stopped walking. "I wouldn't be going with him if he was being rude, daddy." She replied and checked the clock.

She only had ten more minutes until Dale arrived.

'ding dong'

Eleanor looked at her dad and he got up to answer the door.

She took one last look in the mirror before waiting in the living room.

"We're doing well, thanks for asking. Eleanor should be in the living room," Leroy said and Dale followed him to the living room.

Dale took one look at Eleanor and his heart softened. He was never prepared for how beautiful she looked.

"Norah, you look perfect," Dale said while his eyes trailed over her admiring her.

Eleanor's eyes twinkled with joy as Dale placed his hand on the small of her back. "Thank you, Dale."

Dale nodded at her parents and walked to the car.

"Where are we going?" Eleanor asked once they were down the road.

Dale looked at her from the corner of his eye and responded. "Somewhere nice. You'll be very comfortable there,"

Eleanor nodded and looked out the window to see all of the Christmas decorations around town.

Eventually, the car came to a stop and they were parked in front of the New Haven Florist.

Eleanor didn't question their destination, though she was curious about why they were there.

Dale opened Eleanor's door and led her to the front door of the shop, where he opened the door.

"I had it rented out for us tonight. I wanted to make sure that you were comfortable." Dale answered Eleanor's unasked question.