Imagined Children

She swayed her body slowly. Her hands cupped the mic perfectly and she stood close to it as if she was whispering into it.

"She's wrong to the right people." She sang over and over again. The stage light shined on her. Nobody was watching. The stage was empty. Everyone was watching. Crowd opened up in slow motion. She had her eyes on him as soon as he appeared in the midst of people. He stood like he always stood; still, handsome, and calm.

"She is wrong to the right people, she is wrong to the right people..." Her eyes blinking slowly along with the background. Everyone was still. Everyone was moving. He stayed the same.

Eyes of sadness, eyes of love, and eyes of the yearning. Grey t-shirt, black skinny jeans, white converse. Just as she had left him.

"She'll be gone just like she was before."

"She'll be gone... she won't cry no more."

She is no longer singing. The mic gets taken away and she gets shoved off the stage.

"She'll be gone just like yesterday." Someone sings.

The only right she wants to do is be with him. Wrong is not being with him.

"She is wrong to the right people."

Children of broken families. Come together with regret. Your broken hearts want what they can't have. They have learned each others beats. Therefore, you must learn to feel... incomplete.

They brace themselves. Locked each others hands in one another.

Four eyes blinking in the same direction.

Speeding up the time. Speeding up the beat.

Both wrong for the right people.

In motion her dressed bounced and in circles they went.

Crooked smiles formed on their faces. Here's a toast to their imagination. And to a happiness that is not guaranteed.

-To two young adults whose love will never repeat.