The landing of the Red rose

March 1471, Valognes, France

"She's done it!" She's had a son, Goddam it!" Marian woke with a start, quickly pulling up the bedsheets as her brother burst into her room.

"Who, what? Who's had a son?" She asked, startled.
"That Woodville bitch! We have just had word that she gave birth to a son in sanctuary last November, LAST NOVEMBER, Marian! How did we not know sooner?!"
"You are sure of this?" She pulled on a bed robe
"Yes I am sure! But I suppose it should not matter...she is no longer Queen and any children she has had with that York pretender are bastards in the eyes of God!"
'You wish' Marian thought
"Ma mère says we are to sail for England immediately! Not only has the Woodville woman had a son but according to our spies the pretender has raised an army intending to take back the throne!"
"What?! He's alive?!"

After news of York's defeat had reached France there had been a rumour that Edward and the rest of the York's fleeing from England had been caught in a storm and drowned. Having no word to insinuate anything different, Marian had begun to believe the rumours, causing her to go into a miserable state when she was alone. Now, a spark of hope flickered within her.

"A-and what of his brother?" She dared ask
"George?"
"No...Richard"
Edward have her a strange look but then replied
"They say he is sailing with his brother"
Marian nodded, trying her best to contain the smile that threatened to show on her face. Richard was alive! He was alive! Not dead at the bottom of the ocean! Alive! "We cannot let the York's take back the throne, Marian. We will win this!" And with that, her brother turned on his heel and almost stomped out.

Once he had gone Marian could hardly contain herself that she grabbed Meg and pulled her into a fierce embrace when she entered her chambers.

"Christ, Marian! Do you intend to crush me?!"
"Sorry meg! It's just, they are alive! Richard and Edward are alive!"
"But...the rumours?!"
"I know! I though they were true as well but my brother has just told me otherwise! They are sailing to England and we are going to as well!"
"Well I think we had best get packing then! We have a long journey ahead of us."
Marian simply smiled and sat down at her dressing table, her hope restored to her.

༒༒༒

The wind blew fiercely as the Lancastrian forces made their way down the beach. Marian, Anne, Meg and Countess Warwick clung all clung onto each other, fearing they would be blown away if they let go.
"It is madness sailing into this wind!" Anne cried
"The captain claims it is safe!" Her mother replied
"Yes, with a blade held to his neck!" Marian said

After bidding the countess safe travel (as she was to travel with the fleet. So was Meg) Marian and Anne headed below deck to where Margaret was waiting, pacing the already soaked floor of her cabin. As they were about to enter, Anne stopped in her tracks.
"Please, don't leave me Marian..."
Marian took Anne's hands, looking her in the eye
"I'm not going anywhere, Anne. I'll be right here with you the whole journey. We can even share a cabin if you should like. Do not fret, we shall reach England before you know it..." hearing the boat creak, Marian wasn't sure how true that last part was.