DURGA, THE WARRIOR QUEEN

It was a cold dark cave, in the heart of the mountain. Mahishasur stood still on his right foot, his left knee bent without any support. He was in a deep meditative trance, having lost the sense of time, as months had passed into years.

His whole being only called out to the creator, Brahma, to pay him just one visit. In satisfying his minds hunger, he forgot his own senses. He had been seeing only pitch darkness for years, his tongue forgot how it was to taste.

Yet he stood unmoved, like a mountain.

He had been told all his life that he was an Asura, he could never take the Devas place.

That he could never rule the world.

But he would change that. Or he would die trying.

Thunder, lightning, heavy showers, nothing deterred him, he didn't even feel the gentle winds ruffle his matted hair. The worn clothes with long faded colours, lay loosely on his now bony frame. Only his skin luminescent with all the knowledge the penance was bringing him.

It had been complete darkness for the past few years, but it was changing, he could see a faint bright light emanating from his mind.

He prayed harder, calling out to Lord Brahma with his almost dying body.

And then he felt as if a star exploded in his mind.

A voice calm enough to soothe a crying child spoke gently, "Dear child... you have been praying to me morning and night, through calm and storm. I am greatly pleased by your deep devotion. Only the strongest of resolve can tread a path so cruel. Tell me what is it that you seek, for which you torment yourself so?"

Mahishasur fell on his knees, his eyes teary with deep devotion, "Dear Lord, your divine presence has taken over my entire consciousness. I can feel your glowing light inside of me. This by itself is an experience of a lifetime. There can be nothing more that I can seek."

"Yes, devoted son, but there must have been some reason for which you embarked on this difficult journey. Ask my child, and I shall grant you all that you desire."

Mahishasur stopped sobbing. Clearing his thoughts, he spoke, "I, Mahishasur, son of Rambha, the King of Asuras, pray ask that I remain immortal forever."

Hearing the Asura's bold request, Lord Brahma was a little taken aback. Yet he answered calmly.

"That, great demon, isn't possible. Every creation that is born has to die someday. Ask me for any other wish and that shall be granted, but I cannot break the rules of the universe for you."

Hearing the great Lords words, Mahishasur felt disappointed. Hadn't he just been told that all his desires would be fulfilled. He had only asked for what he rightly deserved, after all the years of rigorous penance. By refusing to grant his wish, Lord Brahma was only encouraging the rule of the Devas.

Ignoring his discontent, he decided he would trick Brahma into accidentally granting him the very wish that he desired.

Bowing low with folded hands, he unknowingly asked for the creation of his own destruction, "I pray ask you for a boon, that I shall not be killed by any man on earth, the heavens or the netherworld."

"Granted," saying this the bright light disappeared in a flash.

Mahishasur bellowed with joy, the vibrations of which shook Indra's throne in the heavens.

With his new found boon, Mahishasur returned to Patal Lok, the abode of the Asuras. He built the most elaborate and ferocious army of unspeakable creatures, those with bodies of animals and heads of Asuras. He then marched onto earth to capture all the land that he could.