Chapter Thirteen: The Party

Robin thought she'd be perfectly used to feeling out of her comfort zone considering how much change she had gone through in the last few months of her life, but it turned out she was still nervous as she got ready on Saturday night.

Even though she'd been perfectly confident in asking permission to go to the party, nerves had gotten the better of her that evening whilst she was getting ready. She'd taken her time doing her makeup, making sure her eyeliner and red lipstick were perfect, but it had taken her even longer doing her hair as it just wasn't doing what she wanted it to, refusing to hold any sort of curl and remaining as straight as it usually was. Eventually she decided to just twist up the front parts away from her face and call it a day, before dressing in a short checked skirt that came just above her knee and a black shirt, leaving the top few buttons undone. She didn't usually wear skirts that were so short, and that skirt in particular was one she'd adjusted herself, making her even more self-conscious.

She'd have probably taken more time over her outfit if she hadn't happened to glance out of her bedroom window and notice that there were people in John's garden already. John had mentioned that his aunt was going out, trusting him with the house alone, and the weather was thankfully not so chilly that they would be confined to just the kitchen and living room. The autumnal sun was setting, casting a dusky orange glow across their neighbourhood, and she knew with dread that she was going to be late if she didn't get going. She didn't want to be the last one there, not just because it would be embarrassing considering she lived next door, but because she didn't want everyone looking at her if she was late. It was bad enough she was still the new girl, she didn't want to attract any more attention.

With that, Robin took one final look in the mirror, deciding her appearance would do, slipping on a pair of black heels, and after grabbing the small present she'd gotten for John, wrapped neatly in brown parcel paper with some string tied round it in a bow, she decided to head downstairs. She could hear her mother and uncle in the living room, with what sounded like the news on in the background, and she braced herself, expecting her mother to insist on looking at her and making some sort of remark about her appearance, or maybe making the last minute decision to ban her from going all together. Thankfully though, she didn't even bother getting out of her chair, not even when Robin stood in the doorway.

"I'm off next door," she said, trying not to seem nervous, even when her mother looked round at her with an expression of vague disinterest. "I'll be back in a couple of hours, see thee,"

No one answered her, with only Albert flashing her a small smile, so Robin took it as her cue to leave, thankful that her mother hadn't protested. She'd been making snide remarks all week about Robin going to the party, and it would be just typical that she'd try and ban her from going at the very last minute. Not wanting to risk it regardless, she quickly headed into the hall, grabbing her leather jacket from the coat peg in the hall and unlocking the front door. Before she had the chance to make her escape though, she heard a small 'psst'  noise behind her, and as she spun around she saw Albert stood, holding up a cardboard case of beer bottles.

"You shouldn't go to a party empty-handed," he shrugged casually, as if he hadn't made such a nice gesture. "Try not to be back too late, but have a great time, alright kid?"

"Yeah, brilliant, thank you!" she smiled, taking the case off him and tucking it under her arm.

As soon as she'd taken the beers Albert gestured for her to go, so she took her leave, heading out the front door as Albert locked it behind her. Taking in a deep breath she tried to steady the nerves that had built within her as she headed round to John's. She hoped she didn't look as nervous as she felt, so she put on a small smile as she knocked on the door, though she no longer had to force it as the door opened, revealing John, who grinned at the sight of her.