Chapter Nine

Kongpob pressed the number six and sighed heavily, leaning against the cool metal frame as he waited for the elevator doors to slide shut. Dinner with his parents had been surprisingly stressful, and all he wanted to do was go home, take a shower, and relax until bedtime. But he had promised Arthit that he would stop by to collect a kiss and, despite his boyfriend verbally telling him not to bother, Kongpob hadn't missed the way he'd blushed and failed to suppress a small smile at the suggestion.

He scoffed, smiling. The disconnect between what came out of Arthit's mouth and what he actually wanted was confusing and irritating at times, but it was also adorable and Kongpob loved him all the more for it. He didn't care if it forced him to work a little harder because, at the end of the day, all he needed to know was that Arthit loved him back.

That being said, it wasn't a perfect system. It required a lot of guesswork on his part, and it was entirely possible that he'd misread the situation earlier. However, he doubted that was the case. Although Arthit pretended like he didn't need to see him frequently, Kongpob suspected that his unruly boyfriend found as much joy and comfort in his presence as he found in his, and that spending time together was something he also looked forward to.

In any case, Kongpob couldn't wait to see Arthit because, after the evening he'd had, he desperately needed a hug from his favorite person. Maybe a bit more, too, if Arthit was willing. Cuddling after a long, arduous day sounded divine.

Eager, Kongpob moved in front of the doors, adjusting his backpack as the elevator shuddered to a stop. A loud ding sounded above him, and Kongpob stepped out without waiting for the automatic doors to completely finish opening. He strode quickly down the hall, excitement pulsing through his veins, adding a bit of extra energy to each step he took.

But an unusual sight brought a curious furrow to his brow, and he slowed down, observing the situation. Arthit's door was open, and he was talking to a tall, long-haired man Kongpob didn't recognize. To whatever the man was saying, Arthit responded with a tense but polite smile followed by a curt nod. He seemed annoyed, and Kongpob caught the end of an apology from the other man.

"It's fine," replied Arthit, and he gave that same forced smile that he had earlier. Arthit glared at the stranger's back as he continued down the hall and sneered, muttering what Kongpob assumed to be obscenities under his breath as he turned around. But just as he grabbed the doorknob, his eyes landed on Kongpob.

In an instant, Arthit's entire demeanor changed. The annoyance vanished, and in its place came a smile so bright and beautiful that it took Kongpob's breath away. Warmth blossomed in his chest, and he couldn't help but smile back at his adorable boyfriend.

"Kong," said Arthit, his voice so rich with affection that it made Kongpob's heart flutter. It must've shown on his face, because Arthit suddenly blushed and cleared his throat awkwardly, his eyes shifting between the floor and wall and everywhere else but Kongpob for a few seconds as he tried to reign in his emotions. "What are you doing here?" He asked, feigning disinterest.

Kongpob stepped forward, invading Arthit's space, and leaned in close with a flirtatious smile. "What do you mean?" He asked, lightly touching Arthit's waist. His eyes flickered to Arthit's lips briefly. "I told you earlier that I'd stop by. Did you forget?"

"Kongpob!" Arthit pressed his hand firmly against Kongpob's chest and pushed him back, looking around anxiously. "We're in the hall."

Delighted—and wholly undeterred—Kongpob tilted his head to the side with a sly smile and leaned into Arthit''s hand. "Were you waiting for me?"

"N-No!"

"Then why are your ears red?"

"They're not," snapped Arthit, hotly, with that familiar bull-headed stubbornness that Kongpob adored. "But if they are, it's not because of you."