thirty-six

Of all the things Clary had expected to see that Sunday morning, Ron slow dancing with Professor McGonagall in the middle of the Great Hall hadn't exactly been it.

When Professor McGonagall had pulled all of the Gryffindors from fourth year onward into the Great Hall that morning to announce the event of the Yule Ball, a Triwizard Tournament tradition taking place on Christmas night, Clary couldn't escape the jeering elbows of Fred and George, who teased their sister standing between them about going to the ball with her new boyfriend, Pretty Boy Diggory as they wouldn't let her live down, but she couldn't help but feel excited about the idea of going to a dance. She'd heard all the stories from her father about muggle events called "prom," or a "leavers' ball," though she hadn't anticipated actually being able to attend one herself.

"Everyone grab a partner!" McGonagall exclaimed to the students leaning against the walls, gesturing for them to practice the slow dancing that was expected for the upcoming event, and therefore not make a fool of themselves in front of the Durmstrang and Beauxbatons delegates. "Boys, on your feet!" 

While the girls of Gryffindor House seemed more than happy to go onto the dance floor, Clary watched as the boys begrudgingly pulled themselves up from their chairs, their eyes looking around for a girl to ask to dance. Clary herself searched the room, a small smile gracing her face as she noticed a fourth year boy standing around by himself, unsure who to ask to be his partner, and she crossed the room towards him, tapping him on the shoulder.

"Care to dance, Neville?" Clary asked as the boy turned around to face her, his face flushing slightly as he stared at her in surprise.

"Y-you want to dance with m-me?" the young boy squeaked out, and she nodded, holding out her arm.

"Of course," she said, and Neville took her arm in his, leading her out to the dance floor as the rest of the fourth and fifth year boys were left ogling over the fact that the Longbottom boy got to dance with one of the upperclassmen while they were still left searching for partners. Despite not knowing him very well, Clary liked Neville. He was polite, albeit a tad awkward, and even managed to help her with Herbology homework on occasion, despite it being a class with two years more experience than he was currently taking.

"Alright, so your right hand goes here," Clary instructed, following Professor McGonagall's instructions as she guided Neville's hand to rest on her waist, and she chuckled softly as his face flushed a darker shade of red. "And mine goes here," she said, resting her own hand on his shoulder and taking his free hand in hers as they began to dance.

They were a bit rusty at first, causing Neville to apologize every time he tripped over his own two feet, or managed to step on hers in the process, but she simply smiled in response, assuring him that it was alright. After a while, he started to get the hang of things, even going so far as to take the lead from Clary, which pleasantly surprised her. Whichever girl Neville would get to take to the ball was a lucky girl, indeed.

When the dancing had finally concluded and the Gryffindors were excused from the room, Clary, Vasantha, Fred, and George left the Great Hall to see Cedric and Newt waiting outside the doors, along with the Ravenclaws waiting to be let inside to learn about the upcoming ball. At the sight of their friends, they crossed over to them, a festive mood about them as they had heard about the Yule Ball earlier that morning from Professor Sprout.

"So, lads and ladies, how are we feeling?" Newt asked as the group began their trek to the courtyard to begin work on the homework due that next morning, Cedric taking Clary's hand in his own as they walked. "Y'know, I've even heard that the Weird Sisters are playing at the dance."

"Word sure travels fast," Vasantha said. "Who are you lot thinking about asking?"

"I've got a couple people in mind." George said secretively as they stepped outside into the crisp fall air, and Clary instinctively pulled her jacket closer around her body as they took their seats near the fountain. "I guess you'll just have to wait and see."