(Chapter 19)

+Alexis+

I opened my eyes.

I was in the school infirmary, lying in a hospital-like bed. I breathed in, and felt the musty smell of medicine and sick people fill my lungs. Great.

Someone shifted, on the end of my bed.

"Tom," I murmured, rubbing my temples. "You're here. How long was I out?"

"Thirty minutes. You feinted." he answered, curtly.

"Right."

The infirmary was silent for a minute.

"I just wanted to say," he started, his tone nasty, "that I can't forgive you for what you did to Max, and -"

I held up a hand. "Please, Tom. Not today. I'm tired."

He glared. "That's not for you to decide. Max is my friend, and I want to tell you that what you did was wrong. You can't just lead someone one like that, then just leave them! You can't just do that to someone!"

He stopped himself from continuing.

"Max should make some better friends," I said, smiling sadly.

"What's that meant to mean?"

"Nothing, Tom. It doesn't mean anything anymore."

"Did you hear? Is that why you're bringing this up?"

I sat up, straighter. "Here what?"

"Why Max and Tiffany broke up, before."

"No, I didn't..."

"Carter."

"What?!"

"Carter," Tom repeated, grimly. "Carter slept with Tiffany. Max forgave Carter, but not Tiffany. That was why they'd broken up."

I settled back onto the pillow, burying my face in my hands.

Oh my god. What had I done?

"Tom," I said, trying to bring myself back to the present. "Why did you protect me out there? I dumped your friend, and broke his heart. Why are you...?"

The answer was obvious from his face.

"You like me," I finished.

He flushed, and looked away.

Suddenly, I was feeling incredibly tired. Another time, and another place, and I would've enjoyed the attention. Maybe I would've played with him. I would've left him, of course - and he'd become nothing but just another person I'd beaten at 'the Game'. Now...I just wanted everything to stop.

"Sorry, Tom," was all I could say.

"I'm not here to tell you that," he said, still red. "I'm here to convince you to make up with Max. All you have to do is tell him what you said yesterday was a joke. It's that easy."

I smiled.

"I wish it was that simple, Tom."

***

I woke up, again. I glanced at the clock. Two thirty. I looked back down, and froze.

Max was here.

Suddenly, all of my senses were on hyper-alert.

He was staring away, out the window, apparently thinking about something. His hands fidgeted with a small black velvet box in his fingers, snapping it open and closed again. Something glinted in it.

I closed my eyes again. Great. He'd gotten a gift for Tiffany - probably from Tiffany's. I hope they're very happy together.

No, I'm not. Screw them.