chapter: eighteen

I was so late.

Thankfully, my mom let me use her car. Otherwise I'd still be on the sidewalk somewhere trying to skate in this damn freezing cold weather.

Eli wanted me to meet him and Naomi at the bar, which I instantly accepted. I wanted to get out and do things anyways so when he called me, I was more than ready to leave.

Plus I wanted to see River.

This whole week I haven't seen her, not even once and even though it shouldn't bother me cause it's not my business to know where she is or what she's doing, I can't help but worry a little.

So coming to the bar and seeing her would make me less worried.

After I parked on the side of the road, I got out and locked the doors before crossing my arms. I was trying to keep warm but it was hard when the wind was being a bitch and the temperatue was ridiculous.

I walked to the front door then heard something and instantly stopped.

"Why the hell would you do that, Belle!?"

It sounded like it was coming from between the building and the bar. I stepped near the edge of the building before stopping and listening a little longer.

"You could have killed her!"

I heard someone laugh then a moment of silence afterwards. "You know how many times she tried killing me? It was harmless! Take a joke."

"A joke!? How the hell is drugging someone a joke! River could of died because of you!"

I kept listening then heard someone walk out of the bar which made me scared so I decided to go in before I got caught.

The first thing I did when I walked inside was look at the counter for River. I saw the other bartender, who smiled at me before realizing that River wasn't here.

Walking over to the booth where Eli and Naomi was sitting, she saw me and smiled before standing up and pulling me in a hug.

I smiled then looked at Eli. "I like her."

"Watch it." He squinted his eyes before laughing.

Naomi smiles as she sits back down with Eli. "I like you too, Jess. I got you some hot chocolate."

Smiling, I sat down and looked down at the cup in front of me. I smiled at her before picking it up and taking a sip, which was extra chocolate.

I was in perfect view of the bar. I kept looking over at it as I was hoping to see River but after that conversation I heard, I knew she wasn't here.

Even though I didn't see who it was that was talking, I knew it was Sophie and that Belle chick that's always with River. But what I can't figure out is..

Did Belle drug River that night?

Was that the reason she was acting like that?

Shaking my thoughts away, I decided to enjoy tonight and not worry about anything that is related to River.

I did see Sophie and Belle walk in. Sophie was standing at the end of the counter and when Belle walked towards her, she said something to her before talking to the bartender.

They eventually left throughout the night and I tried my best to enjoy Naomi and Eli's company but it was hard when River wouldn't stay off my mind.

-

The next morning I had this crazy idea that I should skate down the street where River lives. For whatever reason, I have no idea.

All I know is I woke up at nine, ate some breakfast and made some coffee then I was out the door in a hurry.