Chapter 10 - You Loved My Attention

Megan's POV

I woke up to see Steve's hand woven tightly with mine and my heart yearned, it really did to be with him, but I was scared of being hurt. His eyes were closed and he didn't look much better than he did a few months back when Kronos had crushed my body. I frowned and hissed, my mind conflicting with good memories and bad memories of Steve.

I pulled my hand back, not caring if Steve would awake or not. I brushed my tears away roughly, get yourself together I muttered to myself. It was hard for me to deal with his memories, to deal with his past and to deal with him altogether. Steve must've been pretty tuckered out because he didn't move a single muscle, I looked around the room.

On the chair on my other side, Tony was asleep with his head on my thigh, his hand holding my other one. Nat was passed out on a gurney close to mine with Bruce in a similar position to Tony's, his head rested on Nat's thigh and his hand on hers. I looked across the room and nearly choked trying to stifle my laugh, Thor and Clint lay on one gurney and they were snuggling, Clint as the little spoon.

Happy tears pricked at my eyes as I looked at my family, I slowly pulled out my phone from my bedside table and snapped a few pics of all of them, even Steve. I tried getting up because I had to go to the bathroom but a searing pain erupted in my stomach forcing me to heave out choked sobs and lie back down. Immediately Tony and Steve's eyes snapped open as they heard me hissing in pain.

"Sweetheart." Tony mumbled, brushing away at my tears, "Bruce, she's awake." Steve shouted which effectively woke up the rest of the gang as they surrounded me. "What happened?" Bruce asked me. "I have to pee." I responded and he shook his head, "There's a tube attached to your urethra, you can pee in bed." He held up a bag which glistened with a sparkly white substance.

"Huh, even her pee is sparkly." Nat mumbled, she looked up at Thor, "Is your pee sparkly?" Thor's eyes went wide as he tried to discern whether Nat was serious or not and I laughed despite being in pain. "Why would my pee be sparkly?" He asked and Nat shrugged, "Aren't you a God like her, I thought maybe that's a shared characteristic." Thor looked traumatized as he walked back from Natasha.

"We never snuggled." Clint whispered to him and only me and Steve heard him because of our enhanced hearing. I smiled and Steve stared at the both of them, his confusion clear. "Just rest, sweetie." Bruce laid a cool cloth across my forehead as I laid back down and grumbled. I didn't like being the damsel in distress, I certainly didn't like being useless but because of Loki that's what I was right now.

"I'm gonna kill him." I muttered and Thor looked at me miserably, "I'm sorry, it seems like I always almost get you killed in every battle." I smiled and shrugged, "It's tradition." I winced as I felt my abdomen burn with ferocity and I mumbled some incoherent words as I slunk further into the bed. "This is why I said to rest, Fury said Loki won't be making another move for a while now, especially because we managed to find Selvig as well."

"That's great." I muttered and Bruce nodded, "Besides, Thor told us that Loki needs to gather his army so that'll take him a while." I got up and winced again at the pain burning away in my stomach, "Shouldn't we get him now, before he has more man power." Bruce shook his head, "Our top priority right now, is to get you in top shape for the next battle."

Steve stood up, "She's not going to be with us in the next battle." I stared at him, "What?" He looked at me and shrugged, "You always get yourself injured in every fight, I'm not taking that chance for any of my team members." "Under whose authority?" Steve frowned and tightened his jaw, "As your Captain Agent, I forbid you to be a part of any future battles otherwise I will shoot you. And that's an order."

I could feel my anger about to explode but I could also feel my stomach about to bleed out so I simply gritted my teeth and said, "Fuck you Rogers. Oh wait, I guess I'm not your type." Steve sighed and shook his head, "Don't do this. She means nothing to me now." "Clearly not since you want me to be just like her."

The team stared between the two of us, all of them unwilling to move as if certain anything could cause us both to explode. "I can't deal with this, what I can deal with is you taking a leave of absence from the team." I sighed, shaking my head. I decided to play along after realizing that everyone had a miserable expression on their faces. "Fine, how long?" The anger in my voice was obvious yet Steve decided to test my waters more, "Indefinitely."

"THAT'S IT." I couldn't contain myself any longer, I ripped the IV from my arm wincing as I got up, ignoring the team's warnings. I walked up to him, eye to eye, staring him down, "I get you don't want your team to get hurt but I'm not going to stay behind because you're too testosterone filled to realize that I can take care of myself." I spat at him, "You may feel sorry for yourself, for losing those closest to you, and you may feel sorry for yourself for losing more but I sure don't, so get the fuck over it."

I immediately regretted my words as soon as they left my mouth, I could tell that they impacted Steve negatively as he stumbled back. "Do you even have any idea how hard it is to lose someone you love, your soulmate? No, I suppose you don't, because you never thought of me as one." He muttered quietly. "I ALWAYS LOVED YOU AND WILL ALWAYS LOVE YOU." I screamed and he shook his head, "No, you loved my attention." He turned around and walked out of the room, giving me no more time to retort.

I looked around at the team who were all staring at me intently, "I need... I need to be alone." I muttered and before anyone could stop me I materialized in the imprisonment room, locking the doors behind me.

I slumped down to the floor and replayed my argument with Steve, how could he even think for a second that my love wasn't genuine. Tears fell from my eyes, I knew that in my 17 years of childhood I hadn't cried nearly as much as my few months with this team. Steve had caused me so much pain that I just couldn't work through it and here I was, stitches bleeding and crumpled on a cold, dirty floor.

I crawled towards where Agent Phil had died and I remembered the promise I made to him. I was going to fulfill it, even if I died trying. I thought about little Megan, was she aware of her father's death? Did Fury contact the families? Were they in just as much self crippling pain and anxiety as I was over the deaths? Were they now plagued with nightmares as well? I remembered Faaz, the way he laughed at my silly antics, the way he would smile softly at me when I was upset.

He was the reason that I woke up every day in that wretched house and kept on going. I lived for him and now that he was gone, what good was living. I might as well bleed out in this room, my name added to the long list of Agents that lost their lives trying to save the world. But then I remembered what Faaz would say and that gave me the courage to get off my ass and press the communication button to call directly to Fury.

"We need funeral arrangements." I whispered.