ELIMINATOR--IPL, 2020

Holder's shot on the 4th ball of the last over raced to the boundary with no competition, and SRH was through yet again.

And RCB was eliminated yet again.

A little later than the last three years, but eliminated all the same.

********

As the players shook hands and the losing team trooped to the dugout dejectedly, the captain trudged to give the dreaded 'losing captain' interview.

Now Virat would be honest with himself.

He was playing the victim, but he wasn't—not really. 10th July of last year had been when he'd been the real victim.

It was India. It was Indian cricket, above IPL, always.

Always, thought Virat.

But he could not try to pretend that he had not hoped for the IPL trophy this year. He could not pretend that he was now beginning to think that there was something in the term 'choker' after all.

Take ABD.

He was one of the finest cricketers the world has ever seen, and he not won won a single title anywhere.

Take Dada. He was India's second best (to him, and best to many) captain ever, and he had not won a single title.

Then take Mahi bhai. He had won every kind of title that was available.

Some people are chokers.

Some are not.

It did not take great brainwork to deduce which category Virat himself fell in, he thought glumly.

A choker persisting in captaining the team is just unfair on the team, isn't it? Because RCB did have the potential to win this year.

Just like India had the potential to win the World Cup last year.

What was he doing, really? Captaining two teams with so many die-hard supporters—making them choke—making them cry—

No wonder the media always had it in him specially.

Take Rohit now...

He had won titles, too, just like Mahi bhai. Unlike himself and Dada.

If he cared for Indian cricket, which he certainly did, he might have to take a decision one day soon.

And when the time comes, I will not hesitate, thought Virat fiercely. I will not be the reason India chokes every single damn time anymore.

************

When they reached the hotel, Virat did not make a happy/encouraging speech which he'd done after every match this season when they won/lost respectively.

He just faced his team and spoke shortly.

"I'm sorry."

No one tried to stop him as he dragged his feet to his room, because his team knew how much he had hoped and how disappointed he was at that moment.

The one who knew that best, who also came across as the most immature member of the team, watched him go shrewdly, and turned to Devdutt, who was looking quite petrified.

"He gets like that every time," Yuzi told Dev gently.

"E-every time?" faltered Dev.

"Every time we lose a knockout," said Yuzi, beginning to guide Dev up the stairs by an arm. "That happens a lot, unfortunately, Dev."