We don't have all day, dear

So with a dry mouth and trembling hands, she walked down the stairs.

We continue...

The crowd looked even bigger when Cinderella reached the dancefloor. Women were dancing with young men, which the mothers hoped they would marry. On the side, there were tables with "jolly" water and some fruits. If Cinderella wasn't on a mission, she would definitely drink and eat something, maybe even dance. But not tonight. She strolled as graceful as she could towards the side, where she grasped a drink and observed the ballroom.

So far, so good. No one paid attention to Cinderella, except a few ladies whose eyes were filled with jealously. She smirked and downed her glass. Immediately, she saw The Boss looking at her questioningly. Cinderella's cheek turned slightly redder, and she moved from her spot to somewhere she couldn't see The Boss. The hallway that leads to the king's chambers was right behind her.

"Can't you just describe what I saw? No one wants to know about this."

These kinds of things are what make a story come alive. But, because you asked so nicely, I will move on.

"Thanks."

Cinderella was on the other side now and could overlook everyone. Then, she saw the prince. He was dancing with some young woman, whom she didn't know the name of but have seen her picture in the newspapers. She looked rich, and her dress shimmered in the ballroom lights. The prince looked pleased with the woman, and his eyes were a bit too low to be focused on her face.

'Tsk, pervert.' she thought. Cinderella tore her eyes from the dancing people and glanced over her shoulder. The guards that have to protect the prince from outsiders looked bored and a bit sleepy. It would be great if they were completely asleep. The golden doors were right behind her, but she couldn't just walk over without anyone noticing. And then, as if someone heard her wish, they all closed their eyes. They remained standing but didn't show any sign of being awake. Cinderella looked back at the ballroom and saw The Boss with her magical wand still glowing. She suddenly realized how powerful The Boss must be. That wand made the carriage she came in, the beautiful dress she wore, and the glass slippers on her feet. And that same wand just sent the guards off to dreamland. A chill ran down her spine as she nodded gratefully and turned towards the hallway with the sleeping guards.

Her glass slippers clinked against the marble floors, but no one paid attention. She could hear the breathing of the guards beside the doors. Her heart pounded in her chest, and her throat was as dry as if she swallowed a handful of sand. Cinderella's hand was shaking when she took the doorknob and pushed it down to reveal the king's chambers.