Chapter 29 - Custody

Steve, Sam, T'Challa and I were all sitting in a SUV. "So, you like cats?" Sam asks T'Challa.

"Sam." I warn.

"What? Dude shows up dressed like a cat and you don't wanna know more?"

"Your suit . . . t's Vibranium?" Steve asks, ignoring Sam.

T'Challa's eyes narrow. "The Black Panther has been the protector of Wakanda for generations. A mantle, passed from warrior to warrior. And now, because your friend murdered my father, I also wear the mantle of king. So, I ask you . . . as both warrior and king . . . how long do you think you can keep your friend safe from me?"

Soon we get out and I notice Bucky across from us, being taken away. He spots me and he looks me over, but looks away shamefully. We approach Sharon and another man. "What's gonna happen to him?" I ask.

"Same thing that ought to happen to you. Psychological evaluation and extradition." The man says.

"This is Everett Ross, Deputy Task Force Commander." Sharon introduces him.

"What about our lawyer?" Steve asks.

"Lawyer. That's funny. See their weapons are placed in lockup. Oh, we'll write you a receipt."

"I better not look out the window and see anybody flying around in that." Sam yells. They take my Shield and escort us inside. We see Nat and Tony inside.

"You'll be provided with an office instead of a cell. Now, do me a favor, stay in it?" Ross says.

"I don't intend on going anywhere." T'Challa says.

"For the record, this is what making things worse looks like."
Nat whispers.

"He's alive."

Tony was on the phone. "No. Romania was not Accords-sanctioned. And, Colonel Rhodes is supervising cleanup.

"Try not to break anything while we fix this." Nat says to us.

"Consequences? You bet there'll be consequences. Obviously you can quote me on that 'cause I just said it. Anything else? Thank you, sir." Tony ends his call.

"Consequences'?" I ask.

"Secretary Ross wants you prosecuted. Had to give him something."

"We're not getting that shield back, are we?" Steve asks Tony.

"Technically, it's the government's property. Wings, too." Nat says.

"That's cold." Sam shakes his head.

"Warmer than jail." I roll my eyes at Tony.

Later in the glass office, Tony approaches me. "What is wrong with you. I know you want to sign."

"No Tony. I'm not going against my brother." I shake my head. "Is pepper here? I didn't see her." I ask looking around, changing the subject.

"We're kinda . . . well, not kinda . . ."

"Pregnant?" I ask excitedly.

"No. Definitely not. We're taking a break. It's nobody's fault." Steve joins us as he says this.

"I'm so sorry, Tony. I didn't know." I whisper.

"A few years ago, I almost lost her, so I trashed all my suits. Then, we had to mop up HYDRA . . . and then Ultron. My fault. And then, and then, and then, I never stopped. Because the truth is I don't wanna stop. I don't wanna lose her. I thought maybe the Accords could split the difference. In her defense, I'm a handful. Yet, Dad was a pain in the ass, but he and Mom always made it work."

"You know, I'm glad Howard got married. I only knew him when he was young and single." Steve says from beside us.

"Oh, really? You two knew each other? He never mentioned that. Maybe only a thousand times. God, I hated you." Tony huffs. I look away from him. "God not you Cupcake." He smiles.

"I don't mean to make things difficult." Steve whispers.

"I know, because you're a very polite person."

"If I see a situation pointed south . . . I can't ignore it. Sometimes I wish I could." Steve huffs.

"No, you don't. Sometimes I wanna punch you in your perfect teeth. But I don't wanna see you gone. We need you, Cap. You too Y/N. So far, nothing's happened that can't be undone, if you sign. We can make the last 24 hours legit. Barnes gets transferred to an American psych-center . . . instead of a Wakandan prison."

Steve frowns thoughtfully and picks up one of the fountain pens. He paces, then turns to Tony. "I'm not saying it's impossible, but there would have to be safeguards."

"Sure. Once we put out the PR fire, those documents can be amended. I'd file a motion to have you and Wanda reinstated . . ." Tony starts.

"Wanda? What about Wanda?" I ask.

"She's fine. She's confined to the compound, currently. Vision's keeping her company."

"Oh God, Tony! Every time. Every time I think you see things the right way . . ." Steve starts to yell.

"What? It's a 100 acres with a lap pool. It's got a screening room. There's worse ways to protect people." Tony argues.

"Protection? Is that how you see this? This is protection? It's internment, Tony." Steve paces.

"She's not a US citizen."

"Oh, come on, Tony." I say.

"And they don't grant visas to weapons of mass destruction."

"She's a kid!" I yell.

"GIVE ME A BREAK! I'm doing what has to be done . . . to shave off something worse." Tony yells.

"You keep telling yourself that." I roll my eyes and sit away from him. Steve puts down the pen and leaves.

After awhile of staring at the ceiling the lights go off. I run over to Steve and Sharon. "Sub-level 5, east wing." She says. Steve nods and pulls Sam and I with him.

Steve, Sam, and I arrive outside the chamber. Red emergency lights flash all around. There are many agents slumped on the floor. All of them out cold. "Help me. Help."

"Get up." Steve grabs the man and shoves him against the wall. "Who are you? What do you want?"

"To see an empire fall."

As Sam enters Bucky swings his fist which smashes through the wall as Sam ducks. Bucky grabs him by the jaw and throws him at the open pod. He then kicks me against the wall. Steve lurches into the fight and lands a punch which Bucky barely feels. Bucky kicks and punches Steve out of the chamber. A punch from Bucky goes through the elevator door. Steve blocks the next one but the power of Bucky's fist sends Steve tumbling into the darkened elevator shaft. He turns towards me and walks closer. "Bucky it's me....stop!" I yell. I block his punch and instead punch his side. I climb up his leg and wrap my legs around his neck, hitting the top of his head. Bucky slams me down on the ground and puts his metal arm around my neck. He then carries me over to the elevator and throws me down it, I fall on top of Steve's back.

"Dammit Y/N." Steve groans.

"Steve I can't help that he threw me down here!" I yell as I pull him up. We both run up a flight of stairs and make it into the roof as Bucky starts to take a chopper. Steve runs and grabs the landing gear. I run forward and grab onto his leg, trying to pull him and the chopper back. Bucky twists the chopper, breaking its tail and pushing me back. I look up as the chopper starts to fall, Bucky's metal arm was latched onto Steve's neck. I hurry to the edge as they both fall into the water. Without thinking I jump over and dive down. I swim down to Steve and help pull a now passed out Bucky, out of the Chopper. He carries him out of the water.

"Hurry. We have to hide."