Memento Mori

Grian and Xisuma stood in front of the endportal. Xisuma had stopped walking and stared at the entrance in front of him. Grian could feel his hesitance.

"X, it's gonna be okay. They won't mess with us...I hope." Grian told his friend, despite having no evidence to back up his claim.

"I really hope so too...Your wings will give you a bit more cover, but I'm not so sure about the rest of your feathers. I haven't been back to the Capital since I left for Hermitcraft." X sighed and stepped forwards, staring down at the space of a portal below him.

"Should...Should I, like, put on some armour or something? Cover up my other feathers?" Grian pulled up his inventory, his hand hovering over his Poultry Man armour.

"That's a good idea. Plus, you might need the defense in case anyone does try to mess with us." Xisuma said without looking back at his feathered friend.

Grian nodded and equipped the armour, a sick feeling growing in him. The armour just gave him bad memories. He decided to counteract the bad memories by having something good. He took Sunshine's sweater out of his inventory and tied the sleeves loosely, but securely, around his neck, like an 80s dad. He wasn't wearing the Poultry Man mask because he didn't feel like it was necessary.

Xisuma glanced over his shoulder. "You ready?"

Grian nodded again and stepped up to his friend. Xisuma grabbed G's hand and jumped into the portal, pulling the bird along with him.

Traveling to the End was always more disorienting than traveling to the Nether.

In an instant, the two hermits were standing on a platform of endstone in the middle of the static galaxy. In front of them was where the Enderdragon had been before they defeated her this season. The empty obsidian pillars stood tall, surrounding the bedrock portal that would take them back home.

Xisuma flew up into the air and took off his helmet, setting it in his inventory. He took in a huge breath of space, and sighed. He looked at Grian, motioning for him to follow. The bird flew up as well, staying by X's side as he led the Overworldian through empty static.

"The Capital is this way. You'll know it when you see it, but the flight from the Enderdragon's domain to any Watcher Endcity is pretty long." Xisuma explained, his voice not traveling far through the cosmos.

The two flew silently for a bit until Grian spoke up.

"So Biffa was an Admin too?" He asked. Xisuma nodded.

"GenerikB, Biffa, and I are all Admins. Generik's a senior Admin on the Council, which puts him in charge of getting Admins started on servers. That's why he ran Hermitcraft for her first season before giving her over to me. Biffa was my assistant Admin, in charge of making sure I was handling things okay before eventually leaving me on my own. He stayed longer than intended." Xisuma answered.

"Huh. Well, alrighty then..."

"Fun fact! The Capital is where I first met Scar." Xisuma mentioned.

"Really? Is...Is that where those 'bad run-ins' happened to him?" Grian replied.

"Unfortunately, yes."

The two flew in silence for the rest of the trip. Grian didn't like how the real void felt less suffocating than his dream void.