Chapter 18

Hours later at ten in the morning, Tristian woke up with a soft yawn. Instead of usually jumping out of bed and racing downstairs for breakfast, he stayed still in his bed and stared up at the blank, white ceiling of his room. His mind is all jumbled up and over the place, if it wasn't for Florist, he probably wouldn't get a good enough sleep. Hell, maybe no sleep at all.

"Wake up, sleepyhead! It's time to eat breakfast now." Tristian raised an eyebrow and looked at an amused Florist at the door of his bedroom, carrying a tray of his favorite breakfast. Tristian rolled his eyes but beckoned her to come in and hand over his food. "Thanks, for this and for helping me earlier in the morning." Florist's eyes blinked a bit, but soon a softer smile replaced the amused one, "No problem..I'm always glad to help you in anyway I can." Tristian smiled a bit at her.

He starts playing around with the necklace Meliodas gave him years ago, "Uh Florist, there's been something I have wanted to tell you for years now. But I was still a bit shy and insecure, even still that way probably. Since I already got it out and got your attention, might as well say it. Florist, I-" A soldier came in the room with a some knock. That turned Tristian and Florist attention from the current situation, away.

"What is?" Tristian asks. The soldier peers around the room quickly before getting back to the task at hand. "Your majesty, there is someone by the name of Merlin, who wants to see you." Huh, this is interesting. I guess(in the view/opinion of Tristian) someone did cared enough about him to come back, even if it was just for a little while.

Before Tristian could get up, Florist protested and reasoned with the substitute king, "But you haven't eaten your breakfast yet! Surely Merlin can.." Tristian holds up a hand to stop her, "I wish but knowing her, she's not that patient. Unless if it's your lucky day, which is rarely. You can have my breakfast instead, you look hungry." With that, Tristian got up and off his bed, following the soldier downstairs to where Merlin is at.

When the two saw each other, it was rather awkward, at least for Merlin. Though she hid it well, as usual. Tristian seemed cold and distant towards her, standing a foot or so apart. Merlin masked her disappointment with a smile, "What? No hug?" Tristian rolled his eyes and glared.

"Why should I hug a person who was apart of a group that abandoned me and refuse to tell me what's happening? Arthur explained his situation and that he had to go away, therefore putting me in charge, but you sins haven't! Not even...a goodbye. When it came to the enemies Camelot is facing now, all I got from Arthur was the word 'demons' and a person, which was my father. You guys sicken me. Why did you leave me alone? Why didn't you tell me anything? I have been through hell since that day. I'm not even sure about...you know what, never mind. I have been rambling on long enough. What do you want, Merlin? Why are you here?" For the first time in a while, the sin of gluttony was speechless.

She understood of what Tristian felt, "I can answer that shortly. But first, we should have this conversation. You deserve some answers. Can we talk in your office?" Tristian glared at her some more, before releasing a 'huff,' nodding his head and leading her the way. When they reached the room, the two went inside and sat down in the chairs available.

Merlin cleared her throat, "Okay. The reason why we couldn't bring you with us because we got news that Zeldris found out our location and thought that you were with us. Apparently, he was going to follow us wherever we go. That ended up being false. I can't give you a clear answer as to why we haven't come back. But.." Tristian interrupted her quickly, "You guys are either afraid that Zeldris will come, since apparently you guys are still not ready to face him. Or your ashamed that you were wrong and that you left me behind to rule a country in Arthur's absence as he heals up. Isn't that right?" He looked directly at her, unblinking.

She didn't say anything for a bit.

"You said that there is something else you want to tell, what is it?" For a quick second, Tristian managed to catch a flash of discomfort that went across Merlin's face. The sin took a deep breath, "Well... we got news from someone who claimed to have seen your mother when we showed him a 'missing person' photo. Yes, we're active into knowing his whereabouts. This person says he saw Meliodas unconscious in a mystery person's arms. The sins are going to go to the place the person saw Meliodas at. I have to go back to Arthur, but if your interested, I can help you be with them and assist in the search." To her surprise, Tristian declined. "I'm not sure if they want to see me. Besides, I know my mom isn't in the right place. But he's stronger and more intelligent than to let himself get kidnap like that." With that, he gestures for Merlin to get out and the two departed without a goodbye.

When she left, Tristian went back to his bedroom, grabbing some water and snacks on the way. He lounges on his bed, eating while thinking about the decision he just made. Did he made the right choice to decline? Is Meliodas actually in trouble? Tristian ism't so sure about that. But he is sure about this.

He will reunite with his mother soon.
—————————————————————-
In the mid- afternoon, Tristian was called by Heinz to the older man's office for a little chat. But what is it about? The boy walked slowly, pondering on the possible reasons. When he reached the door and knocked on it, no one answered.

He knocks again, "Heinz! Are you there? It's me, Tristian!" Again, no one answered and the door was locked. That's weird, where could the annoying older man go? 'Wait a second...what if he's plotting something against me? I know he didn't support Arthur's...what?!' All of a sudden, Tristian gasped as he felt a burning sensation in his back and a bit of his skin ripping open, warm blood slowly sweeping out.

He was stabbed literally in the back.

Black eyes turned around to look behind, widening as he saw a smirking Heinz gripping the knife, chuckling darkly as he pushes the knife deeper into Tristian. Drinking in the pained and hoarse screams coming from the boy. It should've been him! This is Arthur's most stupid decision he ever made as king! What about this boy is special and makes him reliable than someone like him?! Pathetic...

"H-Heinz! Your commuting two crimes! Treason and a-attempted murder!" Tristian yelled out in increasing, agonizing pain.

Heinz growled, recklessly and harshly pulls out the knife, "What makes you think you will survive this, brat!" A few seconds of silence went by, soon, Heinz's angry, peering eyes went wide in shock and fear.

A dark cloud engulfs Tristian shortly, before revealing the boy in his demon form. Unfortunately the stab wound didn't heal just yet, but that didn't matter. Tristian snaps his fingers and two long metal staffs appear in each hand. The boy quickly went into a fighting stance and starts charging towards Heinz.

"Not if I take you down, first."