Chapter 29: The Interrogation (Fragment 8)

February 20, 2014, 8:36 PM
Case #: 124.678.21-001
OFFICIAL TRANSCRIPTION OF POLICE INTERVIEW

~~START PAGE 1~~

INTERROGATOR: I'm Lieutenant Charles Foster. This is Detective Terence Newman. Today is February 20, 2014 at 8:36 PM. Please state your full name and occupation for the record.

DUNCAN: Blair Potter Duncan. I'm a student.

INTERROGATOR: Are you currently enrolled in school?

DUNCAN: Yes. At the Louisiana Institute of Art and Design.

INTERROGATOR: I see. What are you studying there?

DUNCAN: Photography.

INTERROGATOR: And where exactly is that school located?

DUNCAN: In New Orleans.

INTERROGATOR: That's a ways from here. What brings you to Texas?

DUNCAN: A bus.

INTERROGATOR: OK Blair. We just have a few routine questions. This will go faster if you cooperate fully.

DUNCAN: Am I under arrest?

INTERROGATOR: Not at this time. However, I should advise you that we had probable cause to search the possessions you had on your person, including your duffel bag and cell phone.

DUNCAN: Probable cause for what? What did I do?

INTERROGATOR: At this point, we're looking at a range of charges including unlawful surveillance, among other things.

DUNCAN: Surveillance? Why? What—what does that mean?

INTERROGATOR: Let's start with the fact that you unlawfully gained access to a Twitter account.

DUNCAN: I don't know what you're talking about.

INTERROGATOR: Do you deny accessing the account with username @EricThornSucks?

DUNCAN: Oh that? My phone somehow logged into that thing by accident. I signed back out again as soon as I realized.

INTERROGATOR: So your phone only signed into that account on one occasion?

DUNCAN: Right. By accident. Some weird Twitter glitch.

INTERROGATOR: And if someone examines your data usage records, they will only find evidence that you logged into that account one time?

DUNCAN: I don't know. Maybe a few times. I'm not sure.

INTERROGATOR: And will they find evidence that someone purposefully input the username and password from your phone?

DUNCAN: How should I know?

INTERROGATOR: Blair, you'll only hurt yourself by lying. Let's try this again. When did you first gain access to the @EricThornSucks Twitter account?

DUNCAN: I don't know, OK? Really. I don't remember exactly. Maybe a few months ago. It wasn't my fault, though.

INTERROGATOR: What do you mean by that?

DUNCAN: I mean, come on! He didn't even use a real password. It was like he wanted me to look.

INTERROGATOR: So you did gain access to the account by guessing the password. Is that correct?

DUNCAN: There basically was no password. It was the word "password."

INTERROGATOR: Which you determined how, exactly?