short story 2/3: you were a wolf in the night (to fetch me back)

"𝚃𝚑𝚎 𝚠𝚒𝚜𝚑𝚎𝚜 𝙸'𝚟𝚎 𝚖𝚊𝚍𝚎 𝚊𝚛𝚎 𝚝𝚘𝚘 𝚟𝚒𝚌𝚒𝚘𝚞𝚜 𝚝𝚘 𝚝𝚎𝚕𝚕, 𝚎𝚟𝚎𝚛𝚢𝚘𝚗𝚎 𝚔𝚗𝚘𝚠𝚜 𝙸 𝚊𝚖 𝚐𝚘𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚝𝚘 𝚑𝚎𝚕𝚕. 𝙰𝚗𝚍 𝚒𝚏 𝚒𝚝'𝚜 𝚝𝚛𝚞𝚎, 𝙸'𝚕𝚕 𝚐𝚘 𝚝𝚑𝚎𝚛𝚎 𝚠𝚒𝚝𝚑 𝚢𝚘𝚞."

How strange it was. He'd never felt a connection so strong since Pacifica, and now, there it was.

It was now late August, the fading summer lights were a strong reminder to Dipper that Pacifica Southeast was never coming back. The missed connection between the two of them was unfortunate and caused by a treacherous girl named Sarah who managed to delete Pacifica's number.

It was a strange circumstance, the last few days before his trip back to Washington. The sensation that something was watching him.

He wondered if she meant what she said back in December —about his flaws. Or if she was bluffing. Either way, Dipper felt reason to be wary of her. It wasn't fear, no, he wasn't afraid of her. How could you possibly be afraid of something that you were mystified by?

"Do you believe in soulmates?" Mabel asked as they dinned alone for the third month in a row. It was actually quite wonderful; the two understood each other.

Dipper traced a finger around the rim of his glass. "I believe in psychic powers, yet I also believe in science. I believe in a higher power, yet I'm atheist."

"I asked you a question, Hamlet." Mabel rolled her eyes and with a flick of her finger, the glass Dipper had disappeared. "Perhaps you've had too much."

"I haven't exceeded the adult weekly limit." Dipper argued. "I haven't even surpassed three units of alcohol, much less fourteen."

"Do you believe in soulmates?" She asked again, Dipper's glass appearing in her hand. She finished it off with a flourish.

"Why such curiosity in soulmates?" Dipper redirected. It worked on nearly everyone, to avoid answering such a question.

"In my Mythology class that I have taken over the last few months, we were reading about such a thing." Mabel admitted. "I, personally, have no opinion on the matter, but I must admit I'm quite curious to see what your perspective on it is."

"Soulmates." Dipper mused. "Two beings connected despite time and even distance. I haven't heard much study on it, but I do believe that most people never find their 'other half'."

"So you do believe in them?" Mabel raised a brow.

"I should say so." Dipper shrugged halfheartedly. What point was there in denying reality?

Mabel rolled her eyes once more. "You're thinking of you and Pacifica Southeast, are you not?"

Dipper closed his eyes and sucked in a breath. It was true that he loved Pacifica Southeast with all of his heart, she would have always been the one for him, but he would likely never see her again. "No." He even surprised himself by saying it. "I do believe that I am not thinking of Pacifica."

Mabel raised a brow. "Someone else caught your eye, hmm?"

"That's not it." Dipper muttered. "It is the connection aspect of it all." He glanced down at his plate, no longer feeling well enough to eat. "You've asked me a question, I think it only fair if I return the favor."

"I'm listening."

"Have you ever met someone just once and felt immediately drawn to them? It didn't matter the circumstances in which you met in, but the instant your eyes meet. It doesn't have to be romantic." Dipper spoke rather slowly, hoping to get his point across.