chapter twenty-six

alyssa

I don't know how or where Elliot learned to kiss like that, but oh my lord. I cannot.

I can't explain it, but it just feels like we both know what we're doing with each other. The ease we share is something far beyond what Max and I had. Like, literal light years beyond it. Sometimes, it feels like I'm not supposed to be doing anything else, like Elliot and I were designed to work this well together.

Two weeks pass, and we settle into this really steady rhythm of work, Bader, then makeout. We hardly ever hang out at Elliot's house; we're always in my bed or on the couch at least an hour after work. She hasn't met my dad yet, and I haven't met her parents, but it's probably fine. I know she's not out at home, and I don't know exactly how she would phrase me. Biz Markie says "just a friend" is bull, and I really don't want her to be uncomfortable. I just want her to be happy.

Tanner doesn't say much of Elliot to Dad. I think it's because Jace has been spending just as much time—if not more so—at our house. Recently, though, it seems like they've migrated a bit more to Jace's house, which is fine by me.

Elliot all to myself? Yes, please.

I know I'm stupid for thinking this magical privacy we have is going to last forever. Eventually, the bubble has to burst. For now, though, I'm fine with just me and her together, with the rest of the world locked away outside.

I love the way she runs her fingers through my hair. I love the way she smiles at me between kisses, the corners of her eyes all crinkled. I love the way she always pays the utmost attention to whatever task she's given herself. And I love the way she asks.

With Max, it sometimes felt like something just for them. I didn't really realize it till Elliot started being so ... attentive. She always asks before she tries something new, and she constantly checks in with me, like she was just born knowing that I apparently really like to feel like I have a say in what's going on. Max just did whatever they wanted, and it was usually okay, but with Elliot, it's all been okay.

I want to ask her to sleep over. I don't know how she'd feel about it.

After the first time we madeout in my room and she kinda freaked a little, I don't want her to feel like I'm pushing her or anything. We haven't even broached the subject of sex, which is more than fine. I'm not exactly eager to sleep with anyone, even Elliot—I mean, the last time I stripped down, I grew a tail. I don't need that again. I can't handle Elliot becoming a Max.

Which is dumb. I know it's dumb. I know Elliot wouldn't be a Max, because Elliot has already seen the tail and was chill about it. But I don't need to scar her mentally or anything. I refuse to be responsible for that.

It's hard to keep my hands off her, though. We keep being terrible workers and finding ways to touch, to sneak in little affections where we're sure no one will see. When Elliot picks me up for work every morning, we hold hands. When we sit at the counter waiting for nonexistent customers, we hold hands. And when everyone has left, we makeout in the breakroom, then rush to let out Bader so that we can make out some more.

"You're too tall," I mutter as Elliot trails her lips down the side of my neck. She's got me propped up on her kitchen counter. She played this whole game of "I don't work out" and then suddenly lifted me onto the countertop as if I'm light as a feather.

Her lips head back toward my jaw. "You're too short," she whispers, and I try not to shudder. My hold on the back of her head and her shoulders tightens. Fuck. I don't even know if she realizes that this spot of my neck is so sensitive, but it freaking is and she keeps kissing it and I am going to explode.