Chapter 8: Facing the Mob

Mary immediately began to cry as she saw the angry mob in front of the venue. The members all whispered amongst each other in Korean while Gianna and Haru tried to comfort Mary and Namjoon was talking to Manager Sejin. Manager Sejin handed Namjoon a megaphone and asked the driver to open the sunroof. Namjoon poked his head out from the sunroof and directed his attention to the girls outside the venue. Everyone listened from the inside.

"Girls, I am Kim-Namjoon of BTS and I would like your attention please."

The girls all quieted down as they directed their attention to Namjoon.

"I really hoped that ARMY could move on from this and accept that Mary is my soulmate. These banners and your chant, really hurt me. I know that Mary isn't in the media, I know she isn't what you think she should be for me, but to me, she's perfect and I want you all to respect that. Our soulmates are given to us for a reason, we don't get to decide, we only get to experience."

Some of the girls in the crowd began yelling out remarks:

"She doesn't deserve you! It was a mistake!"

"How do you know she's not lying?"

"She ruined your tour and is becoming a distraction!"

Mary couldn't bear listening to the girls yell at Namjoon anymore and decided it was time for her to speak up. She wiped her tears, stood up, and peaked through the sunroof next to Namjoon.

"Look! There she is!" one of the girls yelled.

"Mary broke BTS! Down with Mary!" all the girls began chanting again.

Mary grabbed the megaphone from Namjoon's hand.

"What are you doing Mary? You know these people don't like you."

"You've stood up for me enough, time for me to return the favor."

Mary directed her attention to the girls and spoke into the megaphone.

"Ladies please, there is no need for this."

"Why should we listen to you?" one of the girls asked.

"Because I'm just like you!"

The mob quieted down to listen to Mary.

"I know you don't think I'm good enough for Joon and honestly, I don't think I am either. I would be jealous if I was in your place instead of my own. All I ask is, please don't blame Namjoon for any of this. He didn't pick me and I didn't pick him. The universe paired us together and out of respect for Namjoon, please accept that. Do it for him, not for me."

The mob whispered amongst themselves as Namjoon and Mary waited for a response. The members, Gianna, Haru, and Manager Sejin were all anxiously waiting too as they heard and watched from the inside of the limo. After several seconds of silence, the mob dropped their signs of the photo with Mary's face crossed out and put up finger hearts.

"Sorry Namjoon, we accept Mary," they all began chanting in unison.

Mary and Namjoon smiled as everyone in the limo cheered. Namjoon and Mary sent finger hearts in return. Namjoon held the megaphone up for both of them to speak into. After exchanging a glance they said, "Saranghae ARMY (meaning I love you ARMY in Korean)" before sitting back down in the limo to drive to the back entrance of the venue.

While the boys had a final sound check and dress rehearsal before the show, Gianna approached Mary with her phone in her hand with Twitter open.

"I think you want to see this," Gianna told her.