"Grandmother Knows Best"

Life is meant to have rules. It is based on them. And rules are meant to be followed. Some may be bent but never broken. That is the key to life for those who were brought up believing there is no other way. Even if love finds a way to overcome even the hardest of rules...

**********

Distance may keep loved ones away from each other but family was family. That was a distinction that babaanne understood like no other. She was the eldest of the Barutçu family. And as the eldest, it was her duty to make sure that the family operated to its best abilities. At least, she was convinced it was her duty. Whether others liked it or not. She spared no time, dropped everything, and rushed back to the city to help her family when she realized she was needed. And since everyone was meant to honor her with respect because of her position, she was convinced she could do no wrong. That notion changed the moment the Aras family appeared in their lives. From that moment on, everything changed. Everything...

That day began in its usual way. Almost. As the eldest of the family, babaanne knew that the way the day began oftentimes foretold how the day would go. When she woke up that day, she felt better than she had in a very long time. She may have slept in Çinar and Yesim's apartment, and even though she didn't quite approve of the apartment's new style, she had slept comfortably, like a baby.

She got up from bed to make breakfast for her rowdy grandson and his Aras wife. But she did not make it to the kitchen because her head spun around the moment she passed a room full of clothes. And shoes. And purses. To her confusion and utter horror, a room dedicated to wardrobe was the last thing she expected to find. And what kind of wardrobe it was! A barely-there wardrobe, that was for sure! She could not help it. She knew she would need to dispose of such atrocities right away.

When babanne began to go through the clothes, Yesim had gotten up by then and screamed at the top of her lungs that these clothes were her property. Hers, and they would stay where they were. Regardless of what Çinar or babaanne thought or were going to do.

This was not something babaanne was used to. Ahh, Aras girl! babaanne thought. Çinar may love Yesim but he would not have an easy life with her. That was for sure in babaanne's eyes. Yesim was the most stubborn, pigheaded, and definitely capricious girl she had ever met. And she had met a lot of them in her long life. The Aras family was definitely one she had now had enough of. If only it was possible to make the rest of them stop coming around.

In Fate's sweetest nod, the doorbell rang. Babaanne was sure that it was Toprak coming to see what all the yelling was about. She was sure he would see Yesim's skimpy clothes and would make sure they got thrown out. She was sure of it. And... she was wrong.

Yesim opened the door and none other than Yesim's mother appeared before them. Worst yet, she announced with the greatest joy in her voice that she would be staying with them. Yesim was thrilled, Çinar was shocked, and babaanne was speechless. Not another Aras under her roof! And where was Toprak when she needed him?

As it turned out, Yesim's mother came with not one suitcase, but five. Five! Babaanne's head spun around in circles again when she realized that one suitcase contained shoes, one coats and jackets, one pants, one shirts, and one dresses and bags. Was it really possible for a woman to even own that many clothes? She needed to breathe. Two Aras women were definitely too much to handle.

Babanne left Çinar to deal with them. After all, it appeared that his mother-in-law had just moved herself in. She went back to Toprak's apartment, where Habibe was already waiting for her with a properly prepared breakfast. Now, here was a perfect woman. Quiet, poised, and one that took care of the elders. Babaanne's nerves calmed down the moment she ate a delicious plate of menemen with pide, and drank a calming cup of çay. Then she laid down to rest. At least that's what she thought.