19. Paris Young

✺✺✺

             THE DEAL PARIS HAD MADE WITH THE KING was simple.

             During the time they had spoken, he had made his wishes clear.

             If she didn't do as he asked, she would lose her job.

             But that wasn't what had scared her—that wasn't what had persuaded her. It was something else, something she hadn't mentioned to anyone. It was his offer. 

             Paris's kids, her patients, they were slowly dying. There was no cure for most of them. The majority of the children had diseases there was no funding for, and they were suffering because of it. It wasn't anyone's fault—it was just the way the world was. There was no money, and people died because of it.

             So a donation to the research . . . 

             An opportunity for a cure. 

             It was the king's generous offer that had swayed Paris.

             Because how could she say no to someone to who was giving her the chance to help her kids? How could she say no, if it meant her kids would pay the price?

             The children here were worth more than Paris's life.

              And they were more important than the love of her life.

              So Paris had accepted.

              "By the end of these six weeks, I want my daughter to be the princess the kingdom needs. I want her to be the prim, proper lady Vega's Boarding Academy taught you to be. I know you went to school with Rory, and I know you have been in the top of the class your whole life."

              Paris had said, "Just because we went to the same school together—"

              "I want my daughter to be mature. I want her to be tamed. And I don't care how you do it, Paris Alvarez Young, but you will do it."

             "It's not my responsibility to make someone mature!"

             "It's your responsibility, as a doctor, to do whatever you can for your patients. And won't this generous donation I am giving help those children?"

             "You're a twisted—"

              "Doctor Young, I don't care if you have to fall in love with her and break her heart. I want her tamed. I want her broken! And I want you to do it."

              "She's not a horse, or a pair of Doc Martens I can just break in!"

              "Let me tell you something, Paris,"  the king had said. "My daughter is a wild, irresponsible womanizer. I am going to step down from the throne soon, and when I do, I want her to take my place. But the princess has always been reckless and arrogant. You are going to teach her some manners, and when you break her heart, she will be the perfect heir."

               Pure rage. Paris had never felt such pure rage.

               "You can't just expect me to—"

                But he had ended the call, and only an hour later, the hospital director had called her in. A meeting she had not told anyone about.