Chapter 49: One Down, Two More to Go

I tried to step away from the figure I saw. This person, man or woman was tall with long hair that stopped at its shoulders. The only reason I saw that was because a small portion of light illuminated from a window nearby. The light was coming from the window in my dad's office. He had an office next to his paint room, but it was never finished and he hardly ever used it. 

Since my eyes couldn't adjust to the figure bumping into sculptures and making its way towards me, I ran into the office. I'm pretty sure it saw me run inside, but I closed the door and locked it. In case it got in, I hid behind the door and backed further against the wall so I had time to run if it came in.

However, I had made a huge mistake. 

I backed into something soft that wasn't the door or wall. My back was up against a warm body. I felt warm breath huffing onto my neck and someone's hand brush against mine. My body wanted to run, but my brain didn't send the message to my legs yet. I felt frozen.

Whoever was behind me finally grabbed my hand and I yanked it away from them. I struggled to unlock the door because whoever was behind me got hold of my arm. Using my elbow, I swung it around trying to get a face. I missed, but the person backed away and let go of me. I finally opened the door and ran out, knocking someone down in the process. To add to that, the person who was in the room with me also fell onto us.

So there I was, on the ground with two strangers trying to kill me. I went into full panic mode and squirmed like a worm in the hot sun desperate to get away. Their fingernails dug into my skin, making me want to yell from the pain. It was intense and they dug deep into the bare skin of my ankle. I kicked, finally getting full control of my body.

I knocked into a statue and accidentally punched it thinking that it was someone. In that moment I had aching knuckles and legs. With my hands out, I looked for the handrail to the stairs. When I found it, I gripped it and carefully followed it while running down the stairs. It didn't take me long to trip and fall. I got up immediately, heading towards the second floor.

Once on the second floor, I ran into my room and shut the door. The moon beamed light inside my room, making it easy to see. No one was in my room. Well...no one that I could see anyways. I looked at my bed. It probably wasn't the best place to hide, so I headed towards the closet. 

I opened my closet door and made sure no one was inside. I got in, sat down, closed the door, and hid. Inside the dark closet, I felt a strange and eerie feeling. I wasn't exactly safe. There were people trying to kill me which made my heart beat even faster and my anxiety hit level infinity. 

 I started to feel bad in that moment. I left my cousins out there alone. In my mind, I felt like we were all doomed. I wasn't getting out of here alive and neither were they. It was just the sad truth. I swore I would protect them, but here I was, hiding for my life. 

Should I go back out and try to save them? I would definitely get killed. I was sure of it. I started to think about my mother. Would she find out about this? Would she ever come back here? Would she find out that aunt Denise was dead? What would happen to her if something happened to me?

My questions left my mind when I heard my door open and someone walking inside. Whoever was in my room started knocking things over. I wasn't sure if they were doing it on purpose, but I heard glass break, my desk shaking, and stuff being thrown at the wall. I covered my throbbing lips with two hands. My breathing sped up as the person in my room started grunting as they broke stuff. I couldn't tell if the person in my room was male or female. Young or old.

Whoever was there wasn't ruining my stuff for fun. They probably knew I was here and was trying to scare me. I wondered to myself if they knew I was in the closet. As soon as I thought of that, I heard tapping on my closet door. 

"Violet," a female whispered. She sounded young. "Come out, Violet. I know you're in there."

You know in scary movies when there's a possessed doll? A possessed female doll to be specific. Their voice is high pitched and the words are perfectly clear? This is how the person standing outside of the closet sounded. Can you imagine hiding in your closet in the middle of the night, hearing someone to tell you to come out? I couldn't describe the chilling feeling and the amount of fear in my heart.

The door slowly opened, teasing me with fear. The light of the moon revealed to me a face I could never forget. Her stitches ripped opened as if she did it herself. She had missing patches of black hair ripped from her head and one missing eye. Her face was purple, decorated with red and blue veins. She was so short, yet so terrifying. A smile spread across her face and she licked the blood that slid from her lips. 

"I'm sorry," she told me. "I just want my life back."

Before I could do anything, she reached for my neck. This was a matter of life and death and I now had to fight for my life. Her hands weren't hard to pry off from around my neck. She was skinny and very weak. I easily freed myself away from her. There was glass on the floor from my flower vases and probably also from my makeup kits. I grabbed the first piece of glass I saw, which was probably the size of my pinkie and one inch wide. 

I aimed it at her. She continued smiling at me. I had never killed a human before and I never wanted to. However, this thing staring at me didn't seem human. It looked hungry and for me. I swung the glass at her thinking she would move, but she didn't.

She ran at me, aiming for the lower part of my body. I was able to kick her in the face twice. She fell and as soon as she did I jumped on top of her. She gripped my arm with one hand, but like I said, she was weak. Using my free hand, I used the glass and stabbed her in the arm many times until she let go. I took no chances for her to grab me again. I immediately stabbed her in her only eye, then slid the glass across her neck and let the blood splatter onto my face.

I quickly got off of her and watched her bleed to death. She died with her eyes open and a smile on her face. This was no time for me to feel bad about what I had done. This was now about survival. In that moment, I felt a little bit braver. One down and two more to go...