Chapter 50: Two Down, One More To Go

I kept the glass my hand. The girl's blood still soaked my face and hands until I wiped it off using my bed sheets. I walked towards the door, taking deep breaths before opening it. A cold gust of air slapped me in the face, making me more afraid than I was. Was a window open? I wondered.

I closed my bedroom door, not wanting the light to give away where I was. With one hand on the wall, I followed it until it led me to the stairs. I carefully went back down to the first floor. What if I could gather the kids up and hide them while I killed the others? That was my plan as I carefully walked downstairs.

On the first floor, I felt my way around through open space. It was scary. Any second my hand could touch someone. Any second someone could come and rip my head off or poke my eyes out. If I got out of this alive, I promised myself I would never play Hide and Seek again. It would bring back painful memories for sure.

A noise coming behind made me jump. I heard something slapping against the floor multiple times. It sounded like it was right next to me. The slapping sent me turning around, looking here and there. Finally, I heard a loud slap against the floor by my legs, then it stopped there. I froze in my spot. It could have been one of the kids. Maybe they were injured. I  slowly raised the glass in the air, ready to strike if it wasn't one of the kids. I slowly lowered my free hand. 

Another hand grabbed mine but in a soft way. It was a small hand. Whoever was on the floor made faint mumbling sounds. I was pretty sure it was one of the boys, so I immediately grabbed him in my arms and comforted him for a few seconds. He felt so light. He wrapped his hands around my neck, but I quickly took them off me. I needed to get him to safety. 

I helped him stand, but he kept falling. I mumbled as if he'd actually understand me, however, he would just not stand. I heard someone coming down the stairs. I quickly picked him up in my hands, but I couldn't grip his legs for some reason. I tried to grab them, but I couldn't...

 A sickening feeling crawled down my throat when I noticed what happened.

The reason I could only grab his waist and not his legs was because he didn't have any...they were completely gone. His lower half was wet with blood. I predicted that half his thigh up to his head was what was left of him. No wonder he was slapping his hands on the floor. He couldn't get up.

I carried him and tried to make my way into the living room. I finally found the living room when I saw a window with the curtain moved back slightly. Putting him down, I quickly ran over to the window and opened the curtain to get a better look at him.

To my complete horror, Zach's left eye was gouged out and his legs were indeed gone. He was completely covered in blood. I looked at him with tears in my eyes, not knowing what to do. He was bleeding to death and I had no idea how to stop it or what to do. To make matters worse, someone walked into the living room with us.

I could see his face perfectly clear. A dark man holding something long in his hand. His eyebrows linked together as he frowned at me. He raised the long stick-like object in the air and ran towards me. I was about to pick up Zach, but his head limped to the side and his chest had already stopped moving.

With tears in my eyes and broken heart, I ran away from the guy, dodging furniture and jumping over tables. I finally ran out of the living and into the dark once more again. I decided to keep going straight which brought me to the kitchen. I knew it was the kitchen because my stomach was the first thing to hit the long counter.  The man was still behind me so I decided to hop on the counter and crawl off of it. There's a door that led back into the living room and I went past it.

I heard things smashing, glass crashing, and many things being broken behind me. I heard the man behind me walk into things and grumble whenever he did. When I tried looking for the stairs, I ended up walking into a wall. The man was somewhere behind me, swinging around and what not. I heard the loud whipping noises as he swung. Afraid I might get hit, I got on my knees and looked for the staircase.

To my surprise, the man stepped on my foot and when he realize I was on the ground, the object came smashing down on my back. It felt like getting hit with a large piece of wood. I fell back to the floor feeling like all the air was knocked out of my lungs. I quickly rolled over and stood up as fast as I could. 

The man grunted with each swing he took at me. Not being able to see made this a lot a harder for me. He hit me on the arm twice really hard. My right arm felt weak and it trembled every time I tried to lift it. I put the glass in my left hand and waited for the next swing. When I heard the next whip of the object, I ran towards him. I felt his warm body against mine and his fist jam into my stomach. I quickly took the glass knife and slid it down from what felt like his abdomen. He tried to grab me but missed.

I dropped to the floor and he took another swing. Feeling around, I was able to grab his leg. I swiftly slid the piece of glass down his leg. He groaned again. I was about to take another swing when all of a sudden, I was grabbed from behind and pushed away. A shotgun went off and I could have sworn that I was shot, however, I wasn't. I heard another shot go off and another and another. The last one resulted in the man grunting then his body collapsing onto the floor. 

Not knowing who it was, I hurried back towards the living room where I could see again. I checked my body for any wounds. My arm was purple and beginning to swell up. Dry blood covered my hands and arms, but I still wasn't shot. 

I stood there, waiting for someone to appear inside of the living room.  Finally, someone appeared. It was April, but she wasn't holding the gun in her hand. No. Someone was behind her. Someone short. Whoever it was looked young. I think he meant to kill me instead of the guys because he now pointed the gun at me. However, this was only for a few seconds before he placed the gun to April's temple. The last place she looked was at the couch where her brother laid dead with his eyes open. 

I closed my eyes as soon as I heard the gun go off again...