The Start

How did you find it?

That's what I will ask you when I realise what you're reading.

Since you are reading this, you probably know me pretty well. Well enough to get into my house, my bedroom, and rifle through my things for some most likely rude and intrusive reason, and happen upon my writing.

Did you find it on my laptop? Did you touch the space bar absent-mindedly, hear the fan surge back to its steady thrum as the screen wakes up, bright and wide-eyed? Maybe the writing was already open on the screen, from where I'd poured over it the night before, as some stupid form of self torture. Words are underscored with red dotted lines, crimson gashes across the page saying: here's a mistake, and here, and here. I haven't made an attempt to correct them.

Or maybe you found my hard copy. You felt particularly nosy and flicked through the top drawer of my bedside table. Concealed under a sleeping mask and a copy of The Catcher in the Rye, the familiar pale angles of a stack of paper entice your hand and let's be honest, if you've made it this far you're not going to stop now.

So you sit on my side of the bed, bracing your forearms on your knees as you survey the titleless blocks of writing.

How do I know this? How do I know that right now, you're making a singular distinct footprint in the carpet, as you cross your legs, all the weight transferring to one foot, and settle in to read? How do I know?

That's where I catch you out. I know that if you're reading this, you're somewhere you're not supposed to be. Because this isn't published — and never will be. No one is supposed to read what I have written here.

I wish they could. In some ways, I'm glad you're here. Maybe afterwards, if you have the good sense to admit your tendency for prying, you can tell me what you thought of it. But you can't tell anyone else; it isn't public domain, just ink ejected from my parent's printer, pressed and smudged onto paper and shoved into a bedside drawer.

It has to stay there. So read it if you have to — I only ask that you put it back.

_______________________________

This is an idea I have for a novel opening or a prologue, and personally I really like it. The actual plot idea for the rest of the novel is weak af but I do love this opening so what do you guys think? Based off of these first few paragraphs, would you keep reading?

Sorry I know you guys are here to get advice not to give me advice haha, so here we go.

Don't be afraid to shake things up! See how I've used second person in this piece, used lots of questions, blending a conversational and sophisticated style. Examiners love some originality — they read the same descriptive passages over and over, so they'd really appreciate something different. If you do feel like you have a unique idea that can work, go for it!

Also don't underestimate the power of suspense. Unforced suspense, especially nearer the end of your writing, can be very effective in engaging the reader and leaving them thinking about your piece long after they've read it.