Fix Your Broken Heart

Sun...

Moon...

And stars...

The night sky filled with twinkling stars and the Earth guided with Luna, the bright moon.

I sat on the rich, green ground as I stared at the galaxy. Beside me, on my right, sat the girl of my dreams, Theia.

I look at her only to see her smiling at the night sky. I tilted my head on my right and looked at her.

She turned her head to look at me and smiled. I smiled back and looked back at the starry night sky.

"What are you thinking about?" Theia asked. 

'You'. I badly wanted to tell her that, but I know she likes someone else.

She and I are childhood friends and I've known her for almost 18 years.

At first I find her annoying, but as time passes by, my feelings for her deepens.

I like her, but things are complicated. I like her, but she likes my best friend who likes someone else.

She's dense, I know that. I wanted to tell her about how I felt, but I don't want to ruin our relationship.

It's just...

"I was thinking about the things you like. It's almost your 19th birthday, right?" I replied lying on the ground with the back of my head resting on my arm.

"Oh! So, you do remember..." she replied giggling a little.

"Of course! Why wouldn't I remember? You're my best friend, remember?" I chuckled ruffling her hair.

She hummed in response and just looked at the city ahead of us.

I then asked something I never wanted to ask her.

"Which do you prefer? The Sun or the Moon?"

She looked at me with wide eyes and I averted my gaze from hers.

She giggled a little and lied to her back just as I do.

"The Sun of course. I mean, the Sun is the reason why the Moon shines up at night, right? The Moon reflects the light of the Sun which causes the Moon to shine up at night. Not only that but..." she explained

"But?"

"The Sun reminds me of Alec. His smile brightens my world. He's, you know, the "Sun" of my life. I like him very much, he makes me smile every time I see him. That's why I like the Sun. It brightens my life. He brightens my life. Why did you ask though?"

It's painful. Her answer...it's painful. I guess, I really don't have a space in her heart.

She prefers the Sun over the Moon. She prefers my best friend whom she had only known for 5 years over me who had known her for almost 18 years.

What does he have that I don't?

"I guess so. Hey..."

"Yes?"

"If I tell you that I love you and I meant it more than as a friend, what will you do?" I asked, looking at the starry night sky hoping that her answer will at least make me feel better.

"Huh? Well, I will turn you down nicely of course. I know you know that I like your best friend and it has always been my dream to marry him. He's nice and handsome and intelligent and everything. I love him dearly. Why? Do you have feelings for me?"

A drop of tear fell from my eye and a heavy feeling burdens my heart.

She only sees me as her brother...why?