Discomposed

Amal Ghusan

Amal Ghusan

Zayed Malik El-Nafaty

Amal Ghusan

I stood in the doorway, diffident and abashed, with my heart pounding in my chest and gaze fixed at Alhaji Affan, I ambled along the sitting room, moving to the chair Alhaji sat. i squat dipped as i greeted him. that was noted as the best and most respectable way to greet elders though some women preferred to go on their knees, i didn't like that at all because i always thought kneeling was for Allah alone. call me an extremist, i'll take it. 

He patted my back with his hand and gestured for me to stand up. i avoided Zayed's gaze as he sat next to his dad. i went further to greet Hajia and she gave me the best of smiles as i looked up to her. She was so pretty, i was still in the squatting position when my back stabbing eyes caught a glimpse of Zayed who was in the middle. i think my breath stopped following its sequence. i even noticed my eyes popped out as i stared on at him. i touched my cheek unintentionally; i hoped i wasn't smiling right now and right at that moment, my legs couldn't contain being bent any longer, i was this close to falling when Hajia gripped my hand, she helped me to my feet as she stood.

"Careful my dear." she whispered.

i flushed, clearly embarrassed. "Th-Thank you Ma." I'M SO STUPID! i would have face-palmed if no one was here. My pupils rolled back to Zayed's face and he just had his index finger brushing his bearded chin like he was trying to figure me out. OOOOOOOH I JUST WANNA TAKE THAT BLACK KUFI CAP OFF HIS HEAD AND HIT HIM WITH IT. i bit my inner cheek, trying to contain myself and that sweet voice came again.

"No dear, don't call me 'Ma', we'll be in-laws soon, in shaa Allah, call me Hajjo."

"Umm... if you insist." i said slowly.

"Of course i insist." she held both my arms as she said this. this deed of hers made me realize just how small-framed i was, i could feel her hands on my humerus.

"i'll just sit over there." i pointed to an unexisting chair and Hajia  raised her brow in confusion. i turned to look at the direction of my index finger and saw that it was at the direction of the kitchen. i withdrew. "I mean... here," i looked again and saw that all the chairs where occupied by my siblings and parents. Wallahi, i saw Zayed place his hand on his nose trying to stifle a laugh, Alhaji glared at his son.